Really Tempted To Make These Goodies!!
  Re: (...)
Rec'd these recipes in newsletters and they look so tempting - might have to try them really soon.

Brown Sugar Cupcakes With Penuche Frosting
Diana Rattray, About.com

3/4 cup light brown sugar -- packed
3/4 cup dark brown sugar -- packed
1/2 cup butter -- (4 ounces) softened
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 dash salt
1/2 cup buttermilk -- low fat is fine
***Optional Brown Sugar Frosting***
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar -- packed
3 tablespoons half-and-half or evaporated milk
2 cups confectioners' sugar -- sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
hot water -- as needed

Heat oven to 350°. Line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.

Cream 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 3/4 cup dark brown sugar with 1/2 cup of butter until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 2 teaspoons of vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.

Add about 1/3 of the dry mixture to the creamed mixture along with half of the buttermilk. Beat until smooth. Beat in another 1/3 of the dry mixture and the remaining buttermilk, blending well. Beat in the remaining flour mixture, blending well.

Spoon into prepared muffin pans, filling about 2/3 full.

Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean.

Frost with your favorite frosting or the brown sugar frosting, below.

Makes about 20 to 24 cupcakes, depending on how much you fill the cups.

Brown sugar frosting. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons of butter with 3/4 cup of brown sugar, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the 3 tablespoons of cream or milk and bring back to the boil. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.

Let cool to lukewarm. Beat confectioners' sugar into the lukewarm brown sugar mixture, adding small amounts of very hot water if frosting is too stiff.

Frost cupcakes, beating in very small amounts of hot water if the frosting becomes too stiff to spread.

Description:
"Use the penuche frosting for these cupcakes or use your own favorite icing."

----

and this one - it serves 2
Warm Almond Crusted Manchego Cheese with Hot Garlic Vinaigrette and Slivered Almonds
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons ground almonds
1 slice manchego cheese -- (8-ounce) about 1-inch thick
2 tablespoons olive oil
Hot Garlic Vinaigrette -- recipe follows
1/4 cup slivered almonds -- lightly toasted
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Set up 3 bowls: 1 with flour seasoned with salt and pepper, 1 with egg and 1 tablespoon of water and seasoned with salt and pepper, and 1 with the bread crumbs and ground almonds.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Cut cheese into 2 equal pieces. Dredge the cheese first in the flour, then in the egg wash, and finally in the bread crumbs. Place the cheese in a small cazuela, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.

Bake in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese is soft. Immediately drizzle with the Hot Garlic Vinaigrette and sprinkle with slivered almonds and parsley. Serve with warm crusty bread.

Hot Garlic Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons aged sherry vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil over low heat in small saute pan. Add garlic and cook until light golden brown. Remove from heat and whisk in the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper

-----

Hopefully this weekend.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Really Tempted To Make These Goodies!! by cjs (Rec'd these recipes ...)
It sounds like the brown sugar would give these a butterscotch taste, which is one of my favorites. We're trying to avoid desserts, but these sound awfully good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Really Tempted To Make These Goodies!! by Mare749 (It sounds like the b...)
Turning head and looking away!
  Re: Re: Really Tempted To Make These Goodies!! by HomeCulinarian (Turning head and loo...)
I'm sorry Jeanette - you're doing so well. I should have titled this "TEMPTED - BUT STAY AWAY JEANETTE!"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Really Tempted To Make These Goodies!! by cjs (I'm sorry Jeanette -...)
We don't eat sweets very often, but will be waiting anxiously to see how the cupcakes turn out. I may have to make an exception.

As for the cheese....YUM! This is right up our alley. It's hard to believe, now that I used to HATE anything with cheese...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.