Product review
  Re: (...)
I thought I posted this last night but I don't see it so I'll give it another try.

I think is told the story of how I had to throw away my stand mixer 10 years or so ago. I've been making due with a very old hand mixer, and pining for a big Kitchenaid mixer, but I'm too cheap to spend $400+. I read with interest the article on hand mixers in the April issue, and ordered the Dualit. All I can say is WOW.

I decided to try it on a spinach souffle, so I could use the beaters and the whisk. I couldn't find any cream of tartar, but I didn't need it. The Dualit beat up those egg white so stiff that the souffle never did fall, even when it cooled. I paid less then $80 (shipping included). I would recommend this without reservation.
  Re: Product review by lxxf (I thought I posted t...)
Nice review. I have a KA, a few years old and it does its job. I do like to use a hand mixer sometimes for smaller/quicker needs and my current one is pathetic. I'll keep this in mind if I get fed up enough to replace it.
  Re: Re: Product review by HomeCulinarian (Nice review. I have ...)
Yeah nice review. I have a very old hand mixer that was my husband's grandmother's mixer. It works like a charm, but I often think to myself, would I replace it if it quit working? The answer would be YES! I have a KA and use it for large jobs or loooong jobs (like marshmallows). I also use my immersion blender quite a bit, whipped cream, sauces or 'in the pot' blending. But the old fashioned hand-mixer I would still miss for jobs like mashed potatoes. I also think my kids would be able to use a hand mixer and keep their mits of my KA!

By the way, my immersion blender did finally konk out on me (it was 30+ years old). I replaced it with a Kitchen Aid Immersion blender. I really love it! lots of power. It came with a food chopper attachement (sorta like a portable food processor). I use that attachment almost every day.

One word of warning to buyers though. I thought the chopper lid housing attachement was dishwasher safe, well it is, but it fills up with water that you cannot get out. So if it were me, I would not run that part through the dishwasher, I would just rinse it, dry it and put it back in the drawer.

[Image: 472209.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Product review by luvnit (Yeah nice review. I...)
Looks like what I have, but have never used the attachments. You like the chopper, huh Laura?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thanks for the review, Sally. Good to know. I happen to have a KA, but didn't have to spend my own money to buy it. When I worked as a sales rep, we got award per q's for incentives, so that's how I acquired some of my pricier toys.

I've been pining for the Dualit toaster for several years,(have no idea why!) but won't spend the money on one either. Currently have a Krups that works great, but still want the Dualit in spite of mixed reviews.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Love my KA stand mixer. It's 37 yrs old and still works like a charm! I also have a KA hand mixer which works great with either the beaters or the whisk.

Laura, did I understand correctly that you use your immersion blender to whip cream?
Shirley
  Re: Re: Product review by smschwag (Love my KA stand mix...)
A Braun mixer that I used to have came with additional attachments that included a chopper like that, and that thing was great - especially ideal for nuts and chocolate. Once, when I needed some ground lamb, but could only get leg of lamb, I "ground" the meat in that little chopper (in batches), and even that worked very well. Unfortunately, the main unit broke, one day, when it fell off the counter.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Bob gave me my first KA stand mixer for my birthday. We were in really tight straights and a friend picked it up for Bob at a yard sale. It was 2 years older than me (it was built in 1946!)and still worked like a charm until the wire whisk gave it up. I sold it a year or so ago - I love my newer one.

I don't think I could ever give up my hand mixer - or my immersion blender, or the regular blender!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Yes, Jean and Shirley,

I am usually not big on attachments, but these are excellent. I love the chopper, makes a great mire pioux (sp?), just pulse to your desired chunckiness. Also great for when I need to chop an onion and mice garlic.

And as for whipped cream, this is super easy. I have been on a huge pie kick these days. I feed them to the neighbors. The clear container has measurements on it. I just fill it with cream to the 8 oz. mark add 2-3 T. of powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp. of vanilla. Then I use the wisk attachement and in about 60 seconds I have enough to top my pie. The wisk and the container go right into the dishwasher.

Jean if you have the chopper, give it a try. It's got more power than you think.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Product review by luvnit (Yes, Jean and Shirle...)
Quote:

... Also great for when I need to chop an onion and mice garlic.

Must be the opposite of elephant garlic.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?