Butcher Q
  Re: (...)
Hello All,

I just recently found out that a butcher shop nearby is not out of business, they just take a 2 month vacation every year. This is your typical butcher shop with a meat case and sundries in refrigerator cabinets as well as a deli case.

Hooray!!

So I went there on Friday seeking tenderloin filet. I have been buying said filet from Whole Foods lately and have been pleased with the filet, but not necessarily the price.

With that said, the filets I get from WF are about 1 1/2"-2" inches in height, and usually less than 8 oz, which is preferable. But when I asked for 2 filets from the butcher shop, they cut them to order, but they were about 1" in height. I tried to give them a little height by trussing them up to sear them, but not with any results, really.

So my question is to you most knowledgeable folk, when/if I go back to the butcher shop, is there an "end" of the tenderloin I should ask for to cut to get that height of better than an inch?

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Butcher Q by BarbaraS (Hello All,[br][br]I ...)
Well if they cut to order tell them you want 2 filets about 1 1/2 inches thick. When you got them home how much did they weigh? I, too, like the thicker cut and my butcher will cut them adn truss them for me. I bet they will too
  Re: Re: Butcher Q by DFen911 (Well if they cut to ...)
Denise,

I always ask for two filets between 6-8 oz. We just can't do any larger which is why we don't go out for steak anymore. Some of the steakhouses have gotten ridiculous with portion sizes!

Height was never a problem at WF.

Is there a name for the smaller end of the whole filet I should ask for?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Yes, the "butt" (thick) end. The middle is the chateaubriand--they can usually cut at least two that thick from there. It is the best part of the muscle in my opinion and should be cooked whole for two or cut into two fine thick filets. The butt end is good, but makes a better roast--I've used it both ways. After the middle you may get one more fillet, the rest is for torneudos (sp?), and tips for fine stews.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
I really don't have an answer for you, but I DO know that I want steaks cut from the top end of the tenderloin, not the tail end. That's really not what you need, so please wait around for someone more knowledgeable. I'm just glad I know my butcher and he knows me.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Butcher Q by Gourmet_Mom (I really don't have ...)
You all are so great! I hate to be a trouble customer, and I try to articulate what I want. The WF guys were great with that. I just want to give back to this butcher shop because I like to support Mom and Pop shops.

Saturday night is the only extravagant night for us. I cook very simple during the weeknights because of work and wanting to work out before dinner. On Sunday, I try a recipe that takes some time, like Coq au Vin or Beef Bourguignon.

Thanks!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Butcher Q by BarbaraS (You all are so great...)
Don't use the tenderloin tips for long cooking stews--they are good for paprikas and the like--not long cooked.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Butcher Q by Old Bay (Don't use the tender...)
I have a solution. Since you are asking them to cut to order, why not SHOW them what you want? Have them haul out the tenderloin for you inspection and show them the part you want cut and how thick. If they are a Mom and Pop type shop, they should be more than willing to do this and probably consider you a more knowledgeable customer to boot. That will work to your advantage in the end.

My butcher has done this for me often and is always more than willing to bring out meat for me to choose my cut. He is now my "best friend". He greets me every time I'm in the store and is always willing to special order stuff for me when he can get it. He recognizes me as a discerning customer who is willing to pay for a select cut of meat and caters to my preferences when he can.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Butcher Q by Gourmet_Mom (I have a solution. ...)
Hey guess what?

Oh boy, those filets were really not that great tasting. I've bought better from the local Acme, and that's not saying much. I took two bites and was sorely underwhelmed.

They were a Choice grade.

Rats.

But thanks for the replies and suggestions!! I really, really appreciate them!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Butcher Q by Gourmet_Mom (I have a solution. ...)
Daphne,

That is a great tip!! This place really is a Mom and Pop place - only it's a bunch of sisters!!

Barbara