Sweet Onion Relish
  Re: (...)
Made this two days ago and served today for lunch over left over thin cut flank steak over a bed of greens,onions & tomatoes.

1/2 sweet onion, very thinly sliced (such as 1015, Vadallia, Walla Walla).
2 T soy sauce
1 T dark sesame oil

Mix all together and let meld in the fridge 2 days. Serve over the meat strips or the whole salad. So simple and so delicious!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Sweet Onion Relish by Old Bay (Made this two days a...)
That does sound like a nice condiment. I don't have any sweet onions in the house; just red and yellow. How do you think that would turn out?
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Relish by HomeCulinarian (That does sound like...)
Red onion would be pretty--maybe add a little sugar and dissolve.
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Relish by Old Bay (Red onion would be p...)
Vidalia isn't a sweet onion, it's a tasteless onion! LOL!

This combination sounds good, though. I'd probably be with Old Bay and the red onions on this one. To sweeten it, though, instead of a little sugar, I'd go with a little Mirin.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Relish by labradors (Vidalia isn't a swee...)
I'm using Texas 1015 in mine--no sugar needed.
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Relish by Old Bay (I'm using Texas 1015...)
Rob, I disagree about the Vidalia onions. I love them and Walla Walla, although what we normally get here are "Sweet Onions" which come from who knows where. I'm not a big fan of Sesame oil, so would probably cut it with olive or peanut oil. Love Sweet Onion relish though. Copied!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Relish by bjcotton (Rob, I disagree abou...)
Well, then there's yet another point of disagreement: I love sesame oil. The addition of that to this mixture is not to "cut" anything, but because of its unique taste. Of course, the trick is not to use TOO much, since it's pretty potent stuff.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sweet Onion Relish by labradors (Well, then there's y...)
Oh well, Rob, if we all liked the same things how boring would that be? It's the different ideas that make us discover new dishes or improve on old ones. My "post reminders" and "favorite topics" lists in "My Home" are getting so long I'd better print some of them. I just added this topic to "favorite topics" so I don't forget it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy