Need Recipe for Coconut Prawns and dipping sauce
  Re: (...)
Hi all. I am gymnastics and my mom called me needing the recipe for the Coconut Prawns and the red pepper dipping sauce. It should be in the members plus archives. It is a few years old. I am thinking maybe the same issue as the meatballs? Or maybe the schnitzel. Not sure exactly. The prawns are breaded in a mixture of unsweetened coconut and panko.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thx.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Need Recipe for Coconut Prawns and dipping sauce by esgunn (Hi all. I am gymna...)
Here ya go, Erin.

Coconut Shrimp
(Cuisine at home, October 2002, Issue 35, p. 11)
Cuisine at home

Makes: 16 Shrimp; Serves 4 Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Red Pepper Sauce —
Blend; Simmer:
2 cups red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
2 t. fresh ginger, chopped
Salt to taste

Combine; Add and Simmer:
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. water

For the Sweet Cilantro Sauce —
Simmer:
1 cup white wine or rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

Combine; Add and Simmer:
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. water

Before Serving, Stir in:
1/4 cup scallions, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

For the Coconut Shrimp —
Prepare:
16 large shrimp (1 lb. 16 - 20 count), peeled and deveined

Combine; Dredge Shrimp in:
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. cayenne

Whisk; Dip Shrimp in:
2 egg whites
1/4 cup water

Combine; Bread Shrimp in:
1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 t. kosher salt

Heat; Fry Shrimp in:
Vegetable oil

Serve with:
Red Pepper Sauce
Sweet Cilantro Sauce

Related Recipes:

Red Pepper Sauce

Sweet Cilantro Sauce

Blend the pepper, sugar, vinegar, pepper flakes, and ginger for Red Pepper Sauce, in a processor or blender until smooth. Simmer over medium-high heat in a saucepan for 4 - 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.

Combine cornstarch and water. Add to bell pepper mixture; simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Chill sauce before serving.

Simmer vinegar, sugar, water, lime juice, pepper flakes, and salt for Sweet Cilantro Sauce in a saucepan for about 5 minutes.

Combine cornstarch and water. Stir into sauce and simmer to thicken, about 2 minutes; chill.

Before serving, stir in scallions and cilantro.

To prepare, shrimp start by peeling and devein them.

Combine cornstarch, salt, and cayenne in a plastic bag. Dredge shrimp in mixture.

Whisk together egg whites and water until frothy. Dip dredged shrimp into egg white mixture.

Combine coconut, panko, and salt in another plastic bag. Add shrimp, a few at a time, and shake to coat. Place coated shrimp on a rack. Fry shrimp at this point or chill 2 - 3 hours.

Heat 1/2" vegetable oil in a saute pan over medium heat to 365°. Fry shrimp 1 - 2 minutes per side; remove to a cooling rack.

Serve hot with Red Pepper Sauce and Sweet Cilantro Sauce.

Enjoy!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Need Recipe for Coconut Prawns and dipping sauce by pjcooks (Here ya go, Erin.[br...)
THANKS PJ!!!!
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Need Recipe for Coconut Prawns and dipping sauce by esgunn (THANKS PJ!!!!...)
I haven't made this (or mine) for the longest time - I love coconut shrimp!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Recipe for Coconut Prawns and dipping sauce by cjs (I haven't made this ...)
It's a very good recipe. And the red pepper dipping sauce is great.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Need Recipe for Coconut Prawns and dipping sauce by esgunn (It's a very good rec...)
Man oh man this sounds good. The other night my night line lead heard me tell the hotel GM that I had a case of shredded coconut come in on an order that day and my cook treats me to a couple of coconut shrimp with our homemade house HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING for a dipping sauce...had not thought of that for a sauce but it was AMAZING!!!

This one is copied for later as well...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)