What's for Dinner, Sat - 4/11?
  Re: (...)
I think we'll head out to the Farmer's Market to get some inspriation. Haven't the slightest idea.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Sat - 4/11? by cjs (I think we'll head o...)
Well, I've got 4 pounds of shrimp left, so it will be something with shrimp. It'll be tough to come up with something to match last night's primavera. I'm thinking either the Cajun Shrimp Fettucine, Shrimp and Grits, or Uptown Kevin's Shrimp with Red Pepper Cream Sauce. I want to have some shrimp left to test out the Macaroni and Cheese Salad for tomorrow. The Shrimp and Grits are winning right now since it doesn't have pasta.

I'm off to see if my pictures came out last night....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Not sure yet, just picked out this week's menu, and have a choice among Paprika Salmon, with brown rice pilaf (I think this rub came from bbally) Tomato cream & sausage penne from the CAH Pasta book, Grilled Flank Steak Salad with roasted corn vinaigrette from the Mayo clinic cookbook. I'll decide this afternoon...
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat - 4/11? by HomeCulinarian (Not sure yet, just p...)
Since today is a big baking day for me, dinner will be something quick and easy. Have some leftover sauce from earlier this week, so it might be spaghetti again.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat - 4/11? by Mare749 (Since today is a big...)
I have no clue. Will hit the store and look for inspiration by peeking into other people carts hahaha

Oh but I do know I'm making creme brule for dessert

Ok doing a french themed dinner -

Chicken Chasseur
1 chicken, cut in pieces (or just use 8 pieces of chicken)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
salt and pepper
8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
3 shallots, minced
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup cognac
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock or bouillon
2 tablespoons tomato concentrate
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
In a Dutch oven or other sturdy, deep pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter with 1 tablespoon of the oil and brown the chicken until golden on all sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and remove from pan.

Drain off the pan drippings, give the pan a quick swipe with a paper towel to clean it a bit and then return it to low heat and add the other tablespoon of butter and tablespoon of oil. When the butter melts, add the minced shallots and cook gently for three minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes or until the mushrooms are softened.

Sprinkle the mushrooms with the tablespoon of flour and cook for one minute stirring constantly. Pour on the cognac, white wine and bouillon and stir in the tomato concentrate. Add the browned chicken and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on how done you like your chicken and how big the pieces are. Serve topped with chopped parsley.

Potatoes Dauphinois
3 pounds potatoes
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
mixed dried herbs
salt and pepper
2 cups shredded Gruyere (or subsitute Swiss cheese)
butter
Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly (use a food processor to save time).
Warm the cream, milk, garlic, and nutmeg until simmering (about five minutes). Remove from heat and remove garlic.

Butter the bottom and sides of an oven-proof baking dish (9 X 13 inch works well). Place a single layer of potatoes on bottom of dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper, herbs, and two to three tablespoons of cheese (you want to end up with a cup of cheese for the top layer). Continue layering until you run out of potatoes and end with one cup of cheese sprinkled on top.

Pour the warmed cream mixture over the top and jiggle the dish a bit to get the liquid to spread throughout.

Bake at 375° for one hour. Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.

Baked Zucchini -
Zucchini (one per person is a good number, but it does depend on the zucchini and the person)
Olive oil (about 1 tablespoon per zucchini)
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan cheese (about 1 tablespoon per zucchini)
Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F or 200°C.

Wash and dry the zucchini. Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and then crosswise, if you want smaller pieces. Place in an oven proof baking dish, skin side down.

Drizzle the zucchini with olive oil (about 1 tablespoon per zucchini - less if you want to save a few calories). Use a pastry brush to evenly distribute the olive oil on the zucchini tops.

Sprinkle the zucchini with salt and pepper and finish with the Parmesan cheese.

Place the dish in the oven and bake for about thirty minutes. The zucchini are done when they are tender and the tops golden brown.

Remove from oven and serve hot.

And then the Creme Brulee
Ingredients
1 quart heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 cup vanilla sugar, divided
6 large egg yolks
2 quarts hot water
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Place the cream, vanilla bean and its pulp into a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean and reserve for another use.

In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and the egg yolks until well blended and it just starts to lighten in color. Add the cream a little at a time, stirring continually. Pour the liquid into 6 (7 to 8-ounce) ramekins. Place the ramekins into a large cake pan or roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake just until the creme brulee is set, but still trembling in the center, approximately 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.

Remove the creme brulee from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to browning the sugar on top. Divide the remaining 1/2 cup vanilla sugar equally among the 6 dishes and spread evenly on top. Using a torch, melt the sugar and form a crispy top. Allow the creme brulee to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat - 4/11? by DFen911 (I have no clue. Will...)
Denise, thanks for sharing the creme brulee recipe.

Daphne, it is becoming increasingly difficult to like you with all that shrimp...teehee, just kidding.

I am making the pork satay dish from one of the C@H cookbooks. I have all this pork and am trying new ways to serve it. Also making the pineapple and scallion salad from one of the grilling cookbooks. It is a rare nice day for grilling. Tomorrow will be cold and rainy again. ugh.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat - 4/11? by chef_Tab (Denise, thanks for s...)
Well, the farmer's market came thru, so we're having the warm spinach salad (I think I posted the recipe somewhere) with poached eggs. Also Chicken Carinci and mashed cauliflower with parm and goodies.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Well, I think I'm falling a little behind here. How do you all have the energy to cook dinner on Sat night? We're just doing lobster rolls, quick and easy and very few dishes. Maybe I'll do an angel food cake with coffee frosting for dessert. Or maybe not...

PJ
PJ
Pimento Cheese and bacon burgers and oven fried fries. YUM! Can't Wait!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat - 4/11? by esgunn (Pimento Cheese and b...)
We opted for the salmon... in looking up the recipe, it turns out it was something Jean posted. It and a bottle of sauvignon blanch hit the spot!