Spinach ?
  Re: (...)
I can remember reading somewhere that using frozen spinach may be safer to use in recipes than fresh...something about the fresh going bad quickly and causing food poisoning of some kind. Anybody know anything about this? I've got some spinach in the veggie bin...haven't looked at it yet...that I would like to use up in a salad if it still looks good. How would I know, other than obvious breakdown of the leaves, if it was still safe to eat? It was bound fresh, not in a bag when I bought it a week or more ago.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Spinach ? by Gourmet_Mom (I can remember readi...)
I don't know either, Daphne, other than the obvious if it looks bad. Maybe to be on safe side, use it as a cooked veggie rather than a fresh salad?

AND, when you get some more fresh spinach, look at this I just found this a.m. - hope I can find some at the farmer's market today. It was in a Food & Wine newsletter.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Warm Spinach Salad with Soft-Poached Eggs

Salt
4 large eggs
1 pound baby spinach
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 large shallots -- thinly sliced
2 teaspoons coarsely chopped thyme
Freshly ground pepper

In a small saucepan, bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the eggs and simmer over moderately high heat for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a bowl of cold water and let stand for 3 to 4 minutes. Keep the pan of hot water on the stove over low heat.

Meanwhile, put the spinach in a large bowl. In a medium skillet, combine the olive oil, sherry and balsamic vinegars, shallots and thyme, and boil for 1 minute.

Crack the eggs all over and gently peel them under warm running water, keeping them whole. Using a slotted spoon, slip the eggs in the hot water for 30 seconds.

Pour the warm dressing over the spinach, season with salt and pepper and toss. Mound the salad on plates, top each with an egg and serve.

Description: "Recipe by Peter Berley"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just sounds so good to me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spinach ? by cjs (I don't know either,...)
William would love this! Sadly, the store that carries fresh spinach is in the opposite direction from which we are headed today. Maybe next week! Copied and saved. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Spinach ? by Gourmet_Mom (William would love t...)
The only time I use frozen is when I'm making something like stuffed filets, or dip. I love making fresh sauteed spinach. I only use baby spinach greens in salads.

When spinach goes bad it gets slimy and turns a very dark color. If it's slimy toss it out.

Jean that recipe sounds yummy!