Herbs and Springtime
  Re: (...)
Today, William and I took a road trip to our favorite nursery...Shelton Herb Farm. Right off the bat we discovered they had added 2 turkeys to the melange there. I'm not sure what they did with the chickens and ducks from last year. Anyway, William commented that he hoped they stayed on the property...today was opening day for Turkey Season. GEEZ!

Anyway, the farm carries some flowers, but mostly culinary items. The bulk of their plants are herbs, tomatoes, peppers, edible flowers, and citrus and fruit trees. There are a few flowers...mostly lilies of a broad variety. In addition to the flowers, they carry hand made pots and garden decor. The ones in the slide show below are their composite display....very nice. I REALLY wanted one of the mushrooms, but maybe next time.

From there, we went to our farm so I could see the additions to the cabin and the garden. There's a new tin roof and a railing around the porch...almost finished. William also purchased some topsy turvey planters to hang from the porch that will produce snacks throughout the summer.

The garden is coming along with a row of sweet sugar snaps and another variety of tender young peas, a row of three varieties of onions, 44 hills of Roma tomatoes with the rest of the row filled in with red, yellow and sweet banana peppers....not ONE hot one, thank you for listening! Then there is one row of red potatoes and another of Yukon Golds. That leaves 4 rows for G90 corn, which will go in next week. There's also a couple hills of squash in there somewhere. There is also space closest to the cabin for cucumbers, cantelope, and watermelon. These will go in next week as well. (Oh, I forgot to add, William got 2 fig trees and 3 banana trees to add to his two Kiefer pear and 2 Macintosh apple trees at the farm.)

BTW, does anyone know the significance of that stack of wood? I've considered adding that to my retirement activities for an income. There's LOTS more on the property.

Finally, there are pictures of the yard here at the lake. I also threw in a shot of my purchase: oregano, silver thyme, 2 chive, 6 sweet basil, 12 red and green leaf lettuce plants, 2 grape tomatoes, and 6 endive plants. Sadly, they were sold out of parsley, so another trip soon.

So here are the pictures. There's quite a few, so be warned. I didn't feel like taking time to weed out the better shots, sorry. But we had a good afternoon. Now off to the deck with a glass of wine. Herbs and Springtime
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Herbs and Springtime by Gourmet_Mom (Today, William and I...)
Lol those turkeys are yummy...er.....cute looking hehe. I love those stone mushrooms. I have spot near my pond that be perfect for them.

I am so jealous of being able to go to a nursery like that!!! All I have here is lowes or home depot. My indoor herb garden is failing miserably.

The porch looks FANTASTIC!! Wow William does good work. I've always wanted to try that unside down planting thing. I'll be anxious to hear how it all works out.

Does your cabin have a fireplace? Maybe that's why all the wood is stacked there for a future burn..?

What are those flowers on the hedge? My lord but that's pretty. Do they have a scent?

Gosh Daphne everything is coming along so beautifully!
  Re: Re: Herbs and Springtime by DFen911 (Lol those turkeys ar...)
LOL! I started to ask the lady if they were raising them for food, but decided against it. I was afraid of how she might react. I forgot, the picture before the cabin is of the rest of the herb farm property where they grow a lot of their items before transplanting to pots. They are a very large operation and sell mostly commercially, but if you can find them, they will sell to individuals, too.

The flowers are azaleas, no scent, alas. My inlaws were avid azalea and camellia growers, and actually had a nursery license at one time. The yard is full of both! They are so pretty this time of year.The pictures here are only of the bushes around the circle drive and a small bed along the side yard out my back door. That's not even half of it...lots of work, but very rewarding.

Nope, no fireplace, although they do have bonfires out there regularly when it's cold. William also acquired an old little pot belly stove, which you may can see on the corner of the porch. I'm hoping for a fireplace in the kitchen/dining/meeting hall one day,though. I'll leave the others guessing and pm what the wood actually is...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Herbs and Springtime by Gourmet_Mom (LOL! I started to a...)
Oh how peaceful it looks at the 'cabin' - and great nursery.

The wood looks like a sculpture to me.

My fingers are so tingling for planting time to get here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Herbs and Springtime by cjs (Oh how peaceful it l...)
I'm itching to plant this year also, but we have to build a better fence around the garden this year to keep the deer out. We actually have counted as many as 12 in our yard at one time. They eat everything in sight including my baskets of flowers that I love to put out. We made a spray last year with eggs and hot pepper. That helped some, but you have to use it after every rain.

Great pics, Daphne! Thanks for sharing!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Herbs and Springtime by Mare749 (I'm itching to plant...)
Wonderful pictures Daphne. The cabin is really coming along.

I wish it was time to plant here. At least another month. Mothers Day is sort of our guideline.

I thought the wood looked like parts of an old tree or stump that was dug up. Or came down in a windstorm/hurricane/tornado?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Herbs and Springtime by esgunn (Wonderful pictures D...)
Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. They're not great and many duplicates, but I was wandering around pointing and shooting between picking out what I need for the planters on the deck.

Regarding the "pile" of wood. Erin's the closest...I'll give! Here's the post I sent to Maryann, in case it looks familiar to you. It was easier to copy and paste and not have to type it over:

LOL! While the property is covered in timber, some of it was cut years ago. What you see is a small portion of the lighter wood stumps and fallen tree William has dragged out of the woods. In case you don't know what THAT is, I'll direct you to the Christmas ads you see in magazines with pretty bundles of small pieces of wood, some boxed in pretty wooden boxes, and sold as kindling, fat lighter, tender...whatever you may know it as....for a pretty penny. If you still don't know what Im talking about, think kerosene soaked little pieces of wood used to light a fire easily. But these have the kerosene quality from years of sitting with the leftover pine resin turning to a highly flammable substance. Cool, huh! And potentially profitable with the right marketing. I've seen small bundles sell for around 30 bucks. There's also an abundance of those pretty pine cones they sell for lighter, as well. BTW, the "pile" you see is well over my head and about 10 feet in diameter. And this sample doesn't scratch the surface of what's still in the woods.

Mystery solved...LOL! Oh, and Maryann, I'm having trouble seeing the laptop screen on the deck, so sorry for all the typos in my message. Hopefully, I got them all this time!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Herbs and Springtime by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the compl...)
Quote:

... these have the kerosene quality from years of sitting with the leftover pine resin turning to a highly flammable substance.

Here, in Honduras, it's only been very recently that they started to import easy-start charcoal briquettes from the States. Otherwise, the locally-made charcoal is not in some manufactured, pressed form (as the briquettes), but irregularly sized chunks.

In addition, the local charcoal isn't "easy start," and they don't sell cans of starter fluid to help it. Instead, inside each bag is a small plastic bag with a box of small matches (something else you won't see with American charcoal - the matches are included!) AND a few sticks (maybe four or five sticks that are about three inches, each) of ocote (a very resinous pine that grows here). Those little sticks make this "non-easy-start" charcoal very easy to use, once you know how to use them. All that's needed is to mound up the charcoal inside the grill, leaving a middle hole big enough for one of the sticks. Then, just use a match to light one of the sticks. Once it's almost fully aflame, just wedge it into the hole in the mound of charcoal and maybe cover it (not enough to snuff it out, of course) with one more chunk of the charcoal. In no time, that mound of charcoal will be burning very well, and you can then tend it as you would any other charcoal in a grill.

Even though they do have the American charcoal, now,I don't bother, since I'm used to using those ocotes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Herbs and Springtime by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the compl...)
"Oh, and Maryann, I'm having trouble seeing the laptop screen on the deck, so sorry for all the typos in my message. Hopefully, I got them all this time!"

LOL! And I thought it was the wine! (We had our fair share today too!)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Herbs and Springtime by Mare749 ("Oh, and Maryann, I'...)
"LOL! And I thought it was the wine! (We had our fair share today too!)"

ROFLOL! I'm sure that didn't help!
Daphne