Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers
  Re: (...)
Oh boy, are these good!! It's a Food & Wine magazine recipe - we just used cheddar instead of the Camembert & Gorgonzola cheeses. Might have to try those tho.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers

1/2 cup finely chopped bacon
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 large garlic clove -- minced
2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Four 1/2-inch-thick red onion slices
Olive oil -- for drizzling
4 hamburger buns or ciabatta rolls
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted
6 ounces Camembert -- cut into eight 1/3-inch-thick slices
2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese -- cut into four 1/3-inch-thick slices
Arugula and 4 tomato slices

In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain and let cool. In a large bowl, mix the bacon with the ground pork, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Shape into four 1-inch-thick patties.

Light a grill. Drizzle the onion slices with olive oil and grill over moderately high heat until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter.

Brush the cut sides of the buns with the melted butter and grill, cut sides down, until toasted, about 1 minute.

Turn and grill for 30 seconds longer. Transfer the buns to the platter.

Grill the burgers until charred outside and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Arrange 2 Camembert slices and a Gorgonzola slice on each burger and cook until the cheese is melted, 1 minute.

On the bottom halves of the buns, layer the arugula, tomato, burgers and grilled onion. Close the burgers and serve.

Make Ahead: The burgers can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before grilling.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Realized I didn't have any burger buns for the sandwiches, so used the 1 hour dinner roll recipe and made 4 hamburger buns and 4 hot dog buns out of it. Tasted great, didn't hold up as well as I hoped, but not too bad either for a last minute solution.

[Image: 1hourbuns.jpg]

I used 5 oz. of dough for each bun, WAY too big, next time I'll try 2-3 oz. But a good flavor!

(just happens to be a recipe from the newly printed cookbook, a Chef's Journey...Home )

When you’re in a hurry but want bread at the last minute, here is the perfect little dinner roll.

After Work Dinner Rolls

2 T. active dry yeast
1/4 cup water, 105-110° F.
3 T. sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, heated to 105° F.
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 cups flour
Optional: add a teaspoon of your favorite dry herbs to the dough

Preheat oven to 400° F.
Dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar and oil; stir with a fork to blend. Add remaining ingredients beating until smooth.

Let rise in mixing bowl for 10 minutes. Lightly grease three 9” round cake pans or an equivalent larger baking pan.

Shape the dough into rolls and place, slightly touching into pans. Let rise 30 minutes. Bake rolls 15-20 minutes.

CJ’s tip: For a really wonderful flavor, melt bacon grease and dip the rolls in before placing in baking pan. Additionally, sprinkle a little grated Parmesan cheese over the top before baking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers by cjs (Oh boy, are these go...)
Wow! Sounds fantastic!

(Also sounds like a V-8 commercial waiting to happen: "I'll have a Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burger" ... BONK!) LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers by labradors (Wow! Sounds fantast...)
Hey Jean have you ever used instant mashed potatoes in your mix? I haven't tried it, and not sure how much to use, but I have heard of folks making potato rolls this way.
  Re: Re: Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers by DFen911 (Hey Jean have you ev...)
I have made 'potato' bread - it is great. I'll have to look for my recipe...I even think I know what binder it's in.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers by cjs (I have made 'potato'...)
Jean, these look/sound fantastic. And with homemade buns, even better. Copied and saved.

We went to a little family restaurant recently where they make everything from scratch. We had these fabulous burgers with homemade semolina rolls. My goodness, they were filling!

Denise, I use potato flakes in bread sometimes, making kind of a potato water mixture first, then adding that to the rest of the ingredients. All you need is a spoonful or two.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers by Mare749 (Jean, these look/sou...)
My goodness! These sound wonderful! I'm almost tempted to ditch my project with my pork and do this instead....almost! Tomorrow is the egg roll project! I'm just waiting on the shrimp.

The bread looks good, too! I'm trying Cis's Italian bread today...can't wait!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers by Gourmet_Mom (My goodness! These ...)
Duly copied, Jean, thanks! We do love our pork.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Double-Pork, Double-Cheese Burgers by cjs (Oh boy, are these go...)
Those look so good, Jean, I'll have to add those to the deck menu!

Denise, here's my tried and true potato roll recipe. I usually use reconstituted instants for this one. The kids like it with some dried oregano added.

3/4 c water
1 egg
3 c AP flour
1/2 c plain mashed potatoes, cooled
1 t salt
1/4 c shortening
1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 t yeast

Place in bread machine ( in the order they recommend, mine is yeast, dry then wet)

Dough cycle, form as you like, rise until double. Bake at 400 for about 12 minutes. (more, if they are bigger). The original recipe yields 24 rolls, but I make them sandwich size, so I get a lot less.

PJ
PJ