Question about dextrose when making beef sticks
  Re: (...)
This is just sugar, right? So why can't you just use table sugar, or won't it dissolve properly when mixed in with the meat?

Also, is there any sub for mace? I don't have it on hand.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Question about dextrose when making beef sticks by Mare749 (This is just sugar, ...)
mace is the covering for a nutmeg pod - so, nutmeg would work Maryann.

hmmm, dextrose is corn sugar - I don't know much about it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question about dextrose when making beef sticks by cjs (mace is the covering...)
I used organic sugar. Dextrose is a little less sweet than sugar - but sugar can be used.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Question about dextrose when making beef sticks by Harborwitch (I used organic sugar...)
Thanks Sharon. Got the beef sticks made and in the dehydrator. Smellin' good already! I'm already thinking of ways to vary this a bit, such as using some ground chipotle, or even by adding a little bit of liquid smoke at mixing time.
Maryann

Re: Re: Question about dextrose when making beef sticks by Mare749 (Thanks Sharon. Got ...)
Well - while I was reading this 3 enterprising Pugs found the bag of beef sticks and had an early lunch along with a small dog fight. S#it!!!!! I don't know where they found them or how - but they are now history. (the beef sticks - not the dogs; yet!)
  Re: Question about dextrose when making beef sticks by Mare749 (This is just sugar, ...)
Quote:

This is just sugar, right? So why can't you just use table sugar, or won't it dissolve properly when mixed in with the meat?

Also, is there any sub for mace? I don't have it on hand.

Dextrose is not table sugar. It is dextrorotary glucose (found in corn). Table sugar is a compound sugar--a combination of fructose (fruit sugar) and glucose (generic). I don't know its limitations in cooking--this for information only.

P.S. Lactose is milk sugar.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Question about dextrose when making beef sticks by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks for the information, Bill. Still not sure what I should do about this except wait and see how the finished product tastes with regular old Domino.

Sharon, those little puggies sure are mischievious! Sure hope they don't all get sick from the smokies!
Maryann

Re: Re: Question about dextrose when making beef sticks by Mare749 (Thanks for the infor...)
From "Charcuterie" by Rhulman & Polcyn - page 39

"Brian and I prefer to use dextrose, a refined corn sugar, rather than table sugar because it is less sweet and, because as the grains are very fine, it dissolves more easily and therefore has a more uniform distribution. But granulated sugar is fine as well."
  Re: Re: Question about dextrose when making beef sticks by Harborwitch (From "Charcuterie" b...)
Just had a taste after letting the smokies cool a bit. Excellent! Great recipe, Jean. Thanks for finding it.

This will be replacing the overpriced "premix" I was buying. And, it's a little less salty, so that's a good thing as well.
Maryann

Re: Re: Question about dextrose when making beef sticks by Mare749 (Just had a taste aft...)
I just ground the beef for another batch of beef sticks. They will be stored where the Pugs cannot get to them.

Also ground the turkey for the turkey & dried cherry sausage tomorrow.