What Excatly Is It?
  Re: (...)
We found a little Mexican store / restaurant, and I bought some "Crema Estilo Hondurena". The english says "Hondurean Style Cream". It's in a sealed plastic bag, similar to how I used to buy fresh mozzarella. I don't want to open it until I'm ready to use it. I didn't find much info when I googled it, but I think it's like sour cream. Just wondering if anyone knew what it is. Maybe Labs?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: What Excatly Is It? by Lorraine (We found a little Me...)
Hey, Lorraine.

The crema they use here is kind of like a more-liquid, less-sour sour cream very similar to "Mexican Cream." The exact taste and texture depend upon each individual brand. For example, I use the "Leyde" brand for putting ONTO things (e.g. tacos, baleadas, tajadas, etc.), since it is mild and VERY smooth, but I use the "Mi Vaca" brand for putting INTO things that would usually call for sour cream (e.g. Chicken Paprikas, Beef Stroganoff, etc.), since it has a little stronger taste and is thicker.

Regular "sour cream," as we Americans would know it, is rare down here, but the crema IS delicious, even if it isn't EXACTLY sour cream.

In Spanish, mantequilla means "butter," and crema means "cream." The Hondurans, however, use the word mantequilla to refer to this kind of cream, and hardly ever use the word crema, except in the phrase crema mantequilla (which is just another term for this cream, though they usually just say mantequilla). The regular, yellow butter that comes in sticks is mostly used by the Americans and Canadians here, but some Hondurans use it, and they call it mantequilla amarilla ("yellow butter").

The plastic bag is the usual way for selling a lot of things here, and is one thing America could learn from Hondurans, since those bags (also used for milk, juices, water, refried beans, sauces, etc.) take up a lot less room as trash. Unfortunately, the Hondurans need to learn something from the Americans: not to be litterbugs. As beautiful as it is here, it is sad that the Hondurans will just throw trash anywhere. In fact, it's not unusual for a mother to change a baby's diaper on a bus, then throw the dirty diaper out of the window of the moving bus.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What Excatly Is It? by labradors (Hey, Lorraine.[br][b...)
Oh no Lab's avatar has been stolen too!!!
  Re: Re: What Excatly Is It? by DFen911 (Oh no Lab's avatar h...)
Quote:

Mine disappeared a while ago. I was trying to "update" a picture of Charlie and the old pic disappeared and after numerous attempts, I still can't bring up the new pic.

Lorraine, the Mexican store sounds fun. We have mexican restaurants here, but have never seen a store. We do, however, have several asian food markets and I love those!
Their prices are always more reasonable than the regular supermarkets too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What Excatly Is It? by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Anxious to hear how you use it Lorraine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What Excatly Is It? by DFen911 (Oh no Lab's avatar h...)
Quote:

Just checked. ImageShack, itself, IS working, but the particular server that happens to hold my avatar is not responding, so I have re-uploaded the file to ImageShack so they would have it on another server. Should be okay in the forum, now.
  Re: Re: What Excatly Is It? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
As far as usage goes, it just occurred to me that I've explained baleadas before (spread refried red beans onto half of a heated, flour tortilla, sprinkle some grated queso blanco or queso duro onto it, then fold the tortilla in half), but probably have not explained tajadas.

Tajadas are just unripe plantains cut into relatively thin to moderately thick slices (sometimes diagonally, sometimes lengthwise) then deep fried as one would potato chips. The plantain chips sold in American stores are similar, but the fresh ones, still warm, are especially good with this crema on them. Some Hondurans will mix some Maggi Cream-of-Onion (Crema Cebolla) soup mix into the crema, and that is delicious, too.
  Re: Re: What Excatly Is It? by labradors (As far as usage goes...)
Wow, never knew the proper names, but I do both - 'baleadas' and 'Tajadas' - oh love both so much!

The Tajadas, I love on a bed of mashed black beans and drizzled with crema. jeez, I'm hungry now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What Excatly Is It? by cjs (Wow, never knew the ...)
Quote:

The Tajadas, I love on a bed of mashed black beans and drizzled with crema. jeez, I'm hungry now.

Here, it's usually red beans, but the same idea. Very simple stuff, but VERY tasty!
  Re: Re: What Excatly Is It? by cjs (Wow, never knew the ...)
Thanks, labs. I have everything to make the baleadas.

I shouldn't have called it a restaurant, as the only tbles they have are two rickety ones outside the store. But there's a back room (with a very aging lady in it). You stand at the window and place your order. They do make fried plaintains and a few other things. Next time we go, I'll try the plaintains, and the pupusas. I had to google them, but they sure sound good. Thanks again.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.