Tomato BLack Bean Bread Pudding
  Re: (...)
Anybody want to try a new recipe - we just loved this -
[Image: TomatoBeanBrdPudding.jpg]

We loved the texture using the Thomas Bagels gave the pudding.

28 oz. crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Thomas "Everything" Bagels or 8 slices of bread
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 T. dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
3/4 cup boiling water
14 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix together the tomatoes, brown sugar, salt & pepper, basil and boiling ater. Set aside

Toast the bagels, cut in 1" cubes (you'll want 4 cups); layer in a greased 2-quart baking dish. Top with drained black beans.

Pour tomato mixture over the bread and beans. Top with the grated cheese. Bake for 50 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes and serve.

---

This is more of a wintry side dish and a lot of you are having summer weather, so I'll understand if it's not a dish to make right now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tomato BLack Bean Bread Pudding by cjs (Anybody want to try ...)
It's cold and rainy here, that looks like comfort food to me. Will have to try it another day though, as I already have plans for dinner.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
We are in pre-winter mode here soooo this will be an interesting dish to try on Peter when he returns...

We are not black bean enthusiasts but I can see this with butter beans or maybe kidney beans. We will also have to make a run to our favorite deli for bagels. (Geesh--I have tried to make my own bagels but they just don't evolve into bagels---just blobs of who-knows-what )

Thanks Diplomat!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Tomato BLack Bean Bread Pudding by Roxanne 21 (We are in pre-winter...)
you're welcome, c.t.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tomato BLack Bean Bread Pudding by cjs (you're welcome, c.t....)
As a friend would say, you had him at black beans. Thanks, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tomato BLack Bean Bread Pudding by Lorraine (As a friend would sa...)
c.t.????? ohhhh---just got it

Got a lot of work to do to "ketchup"
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Tomato BLack Bean Bread Pudding by Roxanne 21 (c.t.????? ohhhh--...)
I just took another picture of the bread pudding and happened to think of why I like this texture (with the bagel for the bread) so much. My grandmother and then my mother always made stewed tomatoes and toasted bread cubes as we were growing up - it was a good cheap filler upper side dish. And I just loved it - the bagel texture is perfect for holding its shape without dissolving in the mixture.

[Image: TomatoBRdPudding.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
What's not to love? Beans, cheese and bread. Can't wait to try it.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Tomato BLack Bean Bread Pudding by cjs (I just took another ...)
Oh, that just looks so tasty! I think the bagels is a great idea. My MIL makes a dish with stewed tomatoes and l/o homemade bread. I've always loved that!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tomato BLack Bean Bread Pudding by Mare749 (Oh, that just looks ...)
My MIL made one similar also! I have never quite gotten it right, though. I am so trying this! Looks healthier than her version...her's had bacon grease in it, I think.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.