Recommenations for chicken/veg stock
  Re: (...)
It seems as though I've run through my freezer-supply of homemade chicken and veggie stock in the past couple of weeks. There is no way that I feel up to doing this now, and I need to make more soup (DH has now been diagnosed with bronchitis!). Sooooo, does anyone have brand recommendations for good-tasting, low-sodium chicken and veggie stocks or broths?

I need to make my way out to the store later today for some groceries (and cough drops!), and would love to know what I'm getting rather than have to stand in the store and read package ingredients (and make a guess). THANKS!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Recommenations for chicken/veg stock by foodfiend (It seems as though I...)
Vicci, you and your husband just can't get a break healthwise this month, can you? Hope you both feel better soon.

when I need to use a commercial product for stock/broth, I keep a jar of Classic Gourmet Chicken/Beef/or Veggie Base on hand. It's a concentrated (and very high in sodium, so I don't use except in a pinch) product I get from Cash & Carry or Smart & Final restaurant supply houses.

I have also used Swanson's brand - it tauts it is 50% less sodium - 440mg per 1 cup. So, it is a better choice than what I keep on hand.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Recommenations for chicken/veg stock by foodfiend (It seems as though I...)
Not an American resident at the moment but I really used to like the Manischewitz----does that exist anymore???

If I am in a pinch here, I have to use Telma---a powder that has to be reconstituted---not great but it can be doctored with fresh herbs

I googled prepared chicken stocks and Swanson came up the winner!!

Feel better (both of you!!!) Is it the season for lung problems there?? ALL that pollen may be the culprit!!!

Sure wish we had Swanson's here (or somethng similar)--- someday _
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Recommenations for chicken/veg stock by cjs (Vicci, you and your ...)
I use Swanson's Natural Goodness. It was recommended by Cook's Illustrated in The Best Recipe cookbook.
[Image: product_natchickbroth.jpg]
  Re: Re: Recommenations for chicken/veg stock by cjs (Vicci, you and your ...)
I use one from sysco, but if I hve to buy it retail, it's Knorr or Swanson's low sodium ones. Hope he gets better soon.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Recommenations for chicken/veg stock by Lorraine (I use one from sysco...)
For ready made, I like to use "Kitchen Basics". I also have "Better than Bullion" (no msg) to mix with water.

I just got a catalog from Cooking Enthusiast. They have stock bases, too:
StoreFrontID=1&Condition=and&Condition=keyword+search&[eproducts]SKU=XKPGF80090&x=0&y=0&RecordsPerPage=12&Database=eProducts&BreakTable=12&Page=0&LinkField=[eProducts]SKU&Results=results.html&Results-1-Record=results(S).html&Results-Table=results.table&Table-Color-Even=%23FFFFFF&Table-Color-Odd=%23FFFFFF]http://www.shopping.cutlery.com/*ws4d-db...r-Odd=%23FFFFFF

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Recommenations for chicken/veg stock by BarbaraS (For ready made, I li...)
I always liked Swanson or College Inn.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recommenations for chicken/veg stock by HomeCulinarian (I use Swanson's Natu...)
I'm with Jeannette, when I don't use my own, I use Swanson's.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Recommenations for chicken/veg stock by pjcooks (I'm with Jeannette, ...)
I always keep either Sysco or McCormick bases in the fridge; pork, chicken, vegetable, beef, and mushroom. They both make a good broth. A 1 lb jar makes 5 gallons of broth or 1 tsp per cup water.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Recommenations for chicken/veg stock by bjcotton (I always keep either...)
Just remember broth is not stock. Broth has salt, stock has no salt.

You cannot use broth for reduction sauces as by the time they are concentrated down they can be very salty. If you're going to take 2 cups of broth and reduce to 1/2 cup it won't be very good. However you can do that with 2 cups of stock.