Cleaning a stainless steel carafe
  Re: (...)
I have been using a 2-liter ss carafe to keep tea hot as I sip it (constantly) during my recovery. This morning I noticed that the inside (ss as well) is... gross. Stained and not very pretty, and probably not adding much to the taste of my beverages either.

How do I clean this? I probably have the instructions here somewhere (pack-rat as I am), but do not have the strength to look for it. I can't reach my hand inside to scrub because the opening is too narrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Cleaning a stainless steel carafe by foodfiend (I have been using a ...)
My first inclination ws to say soak it in some water and bleach, but I'm not sure what the bleach would do to it. What about some baking soda and vinegar? Heres to a speedy recovery.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Cleaning a stainless steel carafe by foodfiend (I have been using a ...)
one idea would be soak with baking soda and hot water and use a bottle brush. I have to do this with my coffee thermos.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cleaning a stainless steel carafe by cjs (one idea would be so...)
I do the same thing and put a scrubby in the bottom and use a wooden spoon to move it around and remove the stain. You can also use vinegar to clean it up. Just be sure to rinse it REALLY well!
  Re: Re: Cleaning a stainless steel carafe by HomeCulinarian (I do the same thing ...)
Thanks for the suggestions! I initially thought of bleach, but last year I decided not to use it any more so I have none (it would have been easy, though). Now the baking soda option will work, I think, and since I don't have a bottle brush I will use Jeannette's suggestion about the scrubbie and wooden spoon!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Cleaning a stainless steel carafe by foodfiend (Thanks for the sugge...)
We have a product here---a scale cleaner---that works beautifully!!!! Called Scale Cleaner---

I would also use the baking soda/vinegar option and rinse copiously---that has worked for me. We have TONS of minerals in the water and we have to soften all of our appliances with a salt mixture.

Hope you are feeling better, Vicci.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cleaning a stainless steel carafe by Roxanne 21 (We have a product he...)
Wow, my carafe must have been really scuzzy!
I started with the "baking soda, scrubbie, and wooden spoon" cleaning and that took care of a good bit of the ick. Then I rinsed it out, added more baking soda and some vinegar and let it sit for a while, then scrubbied it again. Then used soap and water, and rinsed it several times in hot water. I suppose that the trick is not to allow the carafe to go for a year+ without a thorough cleaning!

Roxanne, we have hard water here too, but not enough to have to treat it like you do. And thanks for asking, I feel a little better each day but recovery is just taking way, way too long!
Vicci

my cooking adventures