Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus
  Re: (...)
Oh my, what a terrific dish! We will be having this again. One word of warning, this is HOT, so maybe taste as you go when adding in the sriracha sauce. Glad I made some eggrolls to go with this.

Even though this is a quick recipe, I still did some of my prep earlier in the day, so everything was ready to go at mealtime. That way, all we had to do was steam the rice and start cooking the dish. Sorry, no pics, forgot the camera at my daughter's house!

I used frozen snow peas in their own steamer bag (these are great!) then just added them in at the end. The combination of the green snow peas, red pepper, and the pineapple makes such a pretty dish. I was so bummed about not getting a pic.

Next time, we will probably grill the scallops and the pineapple for this dish. Speaking of the pineapple, Ron thought that it was a bit much, so next time will probably only put in half the amount and save the rest for dessert. We gave this dish a 9, and probably would have given it a 10 if Ron hadn't been "sweatin' out of his head"!!! We drank a lot of beer with this one.

As for the granita, I still haven't made it and it would have been perfect after this meal. I was counting on my daughter to have the Malibu rum because they usually do! and of course they did not! So, we will have to review this later.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus by Mare749 (Oh my, what a terrif...)
I was going to participate in this because it's seafood, but I don't have the fresh pineapple or snow peas! So I will add my thoughts later this week, I think I may go out to the store on Thursday if all goes well.

Coconut rum is stockpiled here... Maryann, you're always welcome to "stop by" for a cup or two!

I wonder if DH would go out to the store for me today...with temps in the mid-80's, this is a perfect dinner...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus by foodfiend (I was going to parti...)
What a winner this dinner was!!! We loved it - Both gave it a 9 (well, a qualified 9 - Roy said if I half the sriracha, he'd give it a 9!)

[Image: SwtSourScallops.jpg]

I agree, Maryann, I think I would prefer the scallops and p.apple grilled and added - especially since this is such a great summer dish with the granita! speaking of which -
[Image: pinacoladagranita.jpg]

Oh, is this ever tasty!! I'm not supposed to tell you that after this nice dainty little dessert, Roy Rogers went in the kitchen, got a little soup bowl and finished off the granita...

He had the leftovers this a.m. for breakfast and said if possible the dish was hotter today! So, do be careful of the sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus by cjs (What a winner this d...)
We loved it too. I definitely cut down on the sriacha. I've made it in the past with chicken and pork tenderloin and they've all turned out great. I added a few sliced water chestnuts for the heck of if this time.

I'd also give it a 9. I didn't get a chance to make the granita.
  Re: Re: Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus by foodfiend (I was going to parti...)
"Coconut rum is stockpiled here... Maryann, you're always welcome to "stop by" for a cup or two!"

Thank you, Vicci! I'll have to do that one of these days!

Jean, that is such a pretty dish, isn't it? Vicci, I hope you get to try it soon. Go easy on the hot stuff, although it would probably chase away any illness that is still hanging on!
Maryann

Re: Re: Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus by Mare749 ("Coconut rum is stoc...)
We made this last night and since I gave the sauce a little taste,HOT, I only added half. You are right, it is such a pretty dish!! And so easy to make. We loved it, in fact when I asked James what did he think he said "All I can say is HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY ANN!!!" It sure was yummy
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus by farnfam (We made this last ni...)
I'm going to have to pass on this until I can get some scallops. William is not a particular fan, so I didn't press him to hunt some up. I, on the other hand, love them, so I will be making this! Thanks for the tips!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus by Gourmet_Mom (I'm going to have to...)
Daphne, I think this dish would be just as good with shrimp if William would like that better. I'm sure we will be trying it that way, as well as with chicken.

Cis, I'm so glad you tried this. Wonder how I knew you and James would LOVE IT!!!
Maryann

Re: Re: Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus by Mare749 (Daphne, I think this...)
and didn't Trixxee or Theresa (why do I confuse those two all the time.... ) make it with pork???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sweet & Sour Scallops Review--Weeknight Menus by cjs (and didn't Trixxee o...)
SCALLOPS?????? I totally missed this one---maybe because we don't have scallops available that often---WHHHHAAAAAA

I agree---shrimp would work beautifully with this recipe!

Geesh---sure wish Peter would come home so I can get back in the kitchen for some of these goodies.

I just noticed that this is Maryann's birthday dinner! I am sooooo sorry Maryann that I missed it (I will go and beat myself up later ) Happy belated birthday ---- I'm slinking to the corner for my session again! (That corner is getting REALLY worn out with the head banging!!!)
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy