What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe?
  Re: (...)
I'm looking for something really special to make for my dad's 82nd birthday party this coming Sunday. I only ever make box mix cakes, so any and all ideas would be so appreciated.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe? by Mare749 (I'm looking for some...)
Well, this isn't a food recipe, but is something you could try to make - or have made...

When my grandmother turned 75 and we had a big, everyone-in-the-family surprise party for her, the aunt and uncle who were organising the whole thing arranged to have her picked up in a limousine. Then, just after she came through the door and we all surprised her, my uncle pinned a corsage onto her blouse.

The corsage was a bunch of "flowers" folded out of 75 one-dollar bills, and it was very beautifully done. I don't know where my uncle got it, but whoever had made it surely had some talent!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe? by labradors (Well, this isn't a f...)
I would have to say the NY cheesecake, or maybe the carrot cake. Or how about the chocolate espresso torte? These are the desserts I've made multiple times and they are always a hit!

And, happy B-day to your dad!!! He'll certainly be happy just to have the party!
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe? by HomeCulinarian (I would have to say ...)
I think of cheesecake as more of a cheesepie cause it has a crust. MmMmMm

How many folks will you be serving Maryann?
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe? by DFen911 (I think of cheesecak...)
My favorite Cuisine At Home cake is the Black Forest Cake (December 2005). Really delicious!

Sharon
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe? by sharonjo (My favorite Cuisine ...)
I have not made it, but I think it got rave reviews - the Tres Leches Cake. Not sure what issue, I can look it up tomorrow. It has been on my list forever to make.

I have made the coconut cupcakes and the carrot cupcakes and we really liked both of them. Can look up the issue tomorrow for those as well.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe? by esgunn (I have not made it, ...)
Wow, just realized I don't think I've made a cake from the magazine...huh.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe? by cjs (Wow, just realized I...)
TRES LECHES>>>is to DIE FOR
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe? by DFen911 (I think of cheesecak...)
Quote:

I think of cheesecake as more of a cheesepie cause it has a crust. MmMmMm

How many folks will you be serving Maryann?

Just immediate family, Denise, which will be 14, but two are babies.

Thanks for all the input. I'm rather curious about the tres leches. I'll try to look it up, but if I can't find it, that would be great if you could post it, Erin.

You are so right about the party, HC. Nothing my dad enjoys more than having the family together. We are so blessed to still have him and in good health, physically and mentally.

Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What is your favorite Cuisine cake recipe? by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here is the recipe, Tammy/TwilightKitten has posted it a few different times. Just search under "Tres Leches" lots of reviews. And it looks like it has been made with and without the rum. I have so got to make this cake. I just know I'd sit and eat the whole thing.

Summer's Best Cake
Cuisine at home No. 46 (August 2004), pages 42-45

Don't know what tres leches cake is? That's okay. All you really need to know is that it's one of the best cakes around. So make it. You won't be sorry.

Tres Leches Cake with Summer Fruit

Makes one 9” cake
Total Time: 1 ½ hours

FOR THE CAKE-----
Beat:
6 eggs
1 cup sugar

Add:
1 t. vanilla extract

Sift together; fold in:
1 cup all purpose flour
½ t. table salt

Combine; fold in;
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup cake batter

FHE SOAKING SYRUP----
Combine; reduce:
1 can (14 oz.) evaporated milk
1 can (12 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whole milk
½ cup light rum

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 3” springform pan with nonstick spray.

Beat eggs and sugar with hand mixer at high speed in a large bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water. Bear until the eggs are pale, thick, and tripled in volume, about 10 minutes.

Add vanilla; remove bowl from the hat and cont8inute to beat until cool, about 5 more minutes.

Sift flour and salt. Sprinkle 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg mixture; fold gently. Fold in remaining flour in two additions.

Combine melted butter and 1 cup batter in small bowl. When blended, add the mixture back to the remaining batter and gently fold to blend.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Combine all milks and rum in a measuring cup with a put spout while the cake bakes. Transfer half of the milk mixture (2 cups) to a saucepan, bring to a simmer, and cook until reduces to 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Stir mixture constantly to prevent scorching.

Stir reduced milk into remaining 2 cups milk mixture (for a total of 3 cups). Set milk syrup aside.

After cooling the cake 10 minutes, place it on a baking sheet (to catch drips from the milk), then poke holes in it with a skewer.

Rewarm milk mixture, if necessary, then pour it over the cake, allowing it to soak in before adding more. Use all the milk, even though it won’t seem like the cake will absorb it. Drape wax paper over the cake (plastic wrap causes condensation) and chill.

FOR THE TOPPING----
Combine:
4 cups mixed summer fruit
¼ cup sugar

Whip:
1 ½ cups heavy cream
3 T. sugar

Combine fruit and ¼ cup sugar; macerate for about 30 minutes.
Whip cream and 3 T. sugar together in a bowl until soft peaks form. When ready to serve cake, remove sides of pan, then top with fruit. Slice cake and serve with whipped cream.

Combine the fruit and sugar in a large bowl. It only needs to macerate for about 30 minutes. Longer than that and the fruit will start to turn mushy, losing its fresh look.

Chilling:
This cake tastes best ice cold so chill it overnight, if possible (this allows for maximum saturation). A minimum of four hours chilling is okay.

Just before serving, top the cake with the fruit using a slotted spoon---that way, most of the juice stays in the bowl and doesn’t make the cake overly soggy. If you’d like, drizzle fruit juices over the cake and whipped cream for a little color.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.