Taco Sauce
  Re: (...)
Cleaning out folders in an old email address is a real pain in the butt!!! Altho, I am finding some old goodies I had forgotten about.

One, is a recipe for taco sauce from ~2005 from the old C2C weekly recipes Dave Nelson used to send out. Since we were having tacos last night, I made some of this up and added to the browned burger and it's dellicious.

Taco Sauce
makes about 3 cups

1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup minced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. ground cumin
4 tsp. ground dried chiles
1 T. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
pinch ground coriander
pinch ground cloves
1 1/2 cups tomato puree
2 cups chicken broth (I used corn stock)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 T. cornstarch dissolved in 2 T. water

Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute stirring frequently until tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until aromatic, another 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the dried spices and saute for 1 minute. Add the tomato puree and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.

Add the broth and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sauce is well flavored. Adjust the seasoning with salt & pepper.

If the sauce seems thin, add enough of the dissolved cornstarch to the simmering sauce to thicken. The taco sauce is ready to use now or it may be cooled and stored in a covered container in the frig for up to 5 days. Return the sauce to a simmer if it has been refrigerated. (I plan to freeze my leftover sauce.)

----

So good! And, the wine we had with the tacos was excellent also - The Spanish Quarter '05 Cab/Tempranillo blend. Heads up, Bill & Jane - I bet you guys make tacos!! Great match.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Taco Sauce by cjs (Cleaning out folders...)
Duly copied, printed, and now in a plastic sleeve... THANKS!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Taco Sauce by foodfiend (Duly copied, printed...)
YUM! Dave had some great stuff....duly copied as well! I've been craving tacos ever since you posted having them the other day!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Taco Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (YUM! Dave had some ...)
And the leftovers Taco salad was wonderful also. I warmed the burger with a little more taco sauce (from above) and added refried beans to it. Great base for the salad. This will sure be a repeat.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Taco Sauce by cjs (And the leftovers Ta...)
Anon was looking at this - we haven't had tacos for so long!!! Now, I'm craving.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Taco Sauce by cjs (Anon was looking at ...)
It's been a while here also. Maybe this weekend!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.