pineapple scones
  Re: (...)
I recently returned from a trip to Sanibel Island where I had the best pineapple scones w/ coconut from Bailey's General Store. When I contacted Bailey's for the recipe, this is what they told me "Start with a regular biscuit mix and and use the buttermilk, sugar and crushed pineapple". I found a buttermilk scone recipe but now I am rethinking it and maybe I should try one a recipe that contains bisquick. The other thing that i am concerned about is the measurement of pineapple vs. coconut. I'd love to hear people's thoughts and I promise to share the recipe as soon as I get it right.
  Re: pineapple scones by alexsmom (I recently returned ...)
I would use a buttermilk scone recipe, sub brown sugar for white granulated, and just "wing it" with the crushed pineapple (very well drained) and toasted coconut. Actually, for an 8" round, I'd probably start with 1/2 cup of the pineapple, maybe 1/4 cup coconut. If you add too much pineapple, the dough may get gummy.

I wonder, is it okay to use coconut rum in scones?!?!?!

This sounds absolutely wonderful and if you have success, please post! PLEASE!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: pineapple scones by foodfiend (I would use a butter...)
That sounds very tasty! Think I'll have to experiment myself with that one.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
This is a scone recipe that turned me around as far as liking scones - they are wonderful. An old Gourmet mag. recipe from '91

Cinnamon, Pecan, and Currant Cream Scones

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
Makes 6 scones

1/4 cup heavy cream plus additional for brushing the scones (BUTTERMILK)
1 large egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar plus additional for sprinkling the scones
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup dried currants

In a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup of the cream, the egg yolk, and the vanilla. Into a bowl sift together the flour, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, the salt, the baking powder, the baking soda, and the cinnamon, add the butter, and blend the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.

Stir in the pecans, the currants, add the cream mixture with a fork until the mixture forms a sticky but manageable dough. Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface for 30 seconds, pat it into a 3/4-inch-thick round, and cut it into 6 wedges.

Transfer the wedges to a lightly greased baking sheet, brush them with the additional cream, and sprinkle them with the additional sugar. Bake the scones in the middle of a preheated 400°F. oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until they are golden.

----
Maybe you could substitute -

1/3 cup pecans, chopped - use drained and patted dry pineapple or try dried pineapple, finely chopped
1/4 cup dried currants - use coconut

Might work. Sounds like something I may have to try also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: pineapple scones by cjs (This is a scone reci...)
Thanks! It's so funny, that's the exact scone recipe I pulled off the net. I probably won't get around to making them until Saturday but I'll let you know how it goes.
  Re: Re: pineapple scones by alexsmom (Thanks! It's so funn...)
Hi. Thanks for everyone's advice. I had buttermilk so I tried this recipe and they were good but more biscuit like. I'll keep experimenting.
I'd be interested to hear how others made out

Ingredients
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup diced pineapple (I used canned)
1/4 cup toasted coconut
1 tablespoon heavy cream, for brushing

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Add butter and mix with your fingertips to a coarse meal. Add buttermilk and mix just until combined.Add 1/2 cup chopped canned pineapple, 1/4 c. toasted coconut.

Transfer dough to a floured board and divide into 2 parts. Roll each to 3/4 inch thick rounds. Cut each round into 8 wedges and place slightly separated on a greased baking sheet. Brush the tops with the cream, and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm, split in half with butter and marmalade.
  Re: Re: pineapple scones by alexsmom (Hi. Thanks for every...)
I don't know when I'll be able to make these, but I'll certainly give it a try! Thanks so much for posting (ps- I love biscuit-like scones!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
Have you seen this recipe? Pineapple Scones Some said the orange flavor was too strong.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.