Rye Bread Recipes
  Re: (...)
My DH used to bake bread as a little guy in Switzerland. He has now retired, and wants to start baking again. Does anyone know where to find good European bread recipes????
  Re: Rye Bread Recipes by swissmiss (My DH used to bake b...)
I don't know where to find them unless you Google them; but, when I was at Sharon's (Harborwitch) she wanted to make Rye Bread...I told her I didn't care for Rye, but she made it anyway. As I frequently do, I taste things I don't like to see if my tastes have changed. Let me tell you this Rye Bread was delicious. I put the word "Nasty" in front of the recipe title to remind me of how wrong I can be.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Nasty Delicious Rye Beer Bread

Recipe By :modified from Harborwitch
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads-Biscuits-Rolls

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 12 oz can beer -- warm
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup all purpose flour
3 cups rye or whole wheat flour
1 package yeast

Add all ingredients to the mixer bowl except beer and yeast.

Add yeast to warm beer to proof.

Turn on mixer, with dough hook, and slowly add the beer/yeast mixture.

When mixture is thoroughly mixed, add enough rye flour so that the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Let run until dough has completely balled around the hook.

If dough continues to adhere to the bottom of the bowl, add a small amount of flour at intervals until the dough detaches from the bowl.

Turn into a well greased bowl until doubled in size. Shape into a loaf pan and let rise again.

Bake at 350° 30 to 35 minutes or until nicely browned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Rye Bread Recipes by bjcotton (I don't know where t...)
I really should make that again. Yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Rye Bread Recipes by Harborwitch (I really should make...)
Here's my absolute favorite - it's pumpernickel and oh my, once you start eatng it, you can't stop. Been making it since 1989. the recipe is for a wreath form to have a round of brie in the center for hors d'ouevre, but you can shape it anyway as I'm sure your husband knows.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpernickel Brie Wreath

1 pkg.active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (~110 F.)
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp. salt
2 T. butter -- melted & cooled
1 egg -- separated
1/4 cup cocoa
1 T. caraway seed
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 cups rye flour
1 T. water
------
8 " round (about 2 lbs.) Brie cheese
Cluster of grapes.

In a large mixer bowl, soften yeast in warm water. Stir in molasses, salt, butter, egg yolk, cocoa, and caraway.
With an electric beater, slowly mix in all-purpose flour, scraping bowl often. Beat on medium speed for 8 minutes. With a heavy-duty mixer or heavy spoon, beat in rye flour, about 1/4 cup at a time.

Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead till smooth, about 5 min. Turn dough over in a greased bowl, cover w/plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place till doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Meanwhile, generously grease the outside of an 8" round cake pan and set in the center of a well-greased 14- by 17-inch b. sheet (or overlap two 10- by 15-inch rimless baking sheets, wrapping around the middle with foil to hold them together.)

Punch down dough, turn out, and knead on lightly floured board till smooth. Divide into 3 pieces. Roll one piece at a time (keep others covered) into a smooth 36" long rope. Place ropes side by side on one side of cake pan. Starting in the center, loosely braid ropes out to each end. Wrap braid around cake pan, stretching slightly if necessary to join ends together; pinch to seal.

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place till almost double, 45 minutes to an hour. Beat together the egg white and the 1 T. water and lightly brush over braid (don't let egg mixture accumulate around cake pan, or bread may stick during baking).

Bake in a 350 F. oven for about 25 minutes or till well browned. Use a sharp knife to loosen bread around cake pan, and then lift out pan. With a wide spatula, slide wreath onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve or wrap airtight to store at room temp. up to 1 day; or freeze, wrapped, for longer storage.

To serve, place wreath on a large board or tray. Cut about a 3" section into 1/4" thick slices (to give braid some give), then fit fie into the center, spreading wreath if necessary to make it fit. Set bread slices back in place. Garish with a cluster of grapes.
Serves 12 to 16
-------
This braided wreath of pumpernickel exactly fits a round of Brie. Trimmed with a cluster of grapes, the pair makes a great appetizer at a wine tasting or other fall gathering. Slice bread thinly; spread the cheese lavishly.

You shape and bake the bread around a pan that's the same diameter as the cheese. To serve, just place the cheese inside the bread wreath.

Buy a round of ripe Brie by its diameter. Most that are 8" in dia. weigh about 2 lbs. You'll also need an 8" round cake pan to bake inside the wreath to hold its shape.

Or
Just bake a great braided loaf of pumpernickel.

Description:
"Sunset Magazine 6/27/89"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rye Bread Recipes by cjs (Here's my absolute f...)
Okay, here's "proofing q".

My small oven has a proofing setting. Does that mean I can set the kneaded bread in a bowl into it to rise?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Rye Bread Recipes by BarbaraS (Okay, here's "proofi...)
Thanks, we will definitely try these. I want him to make some of the 7 grain ones with the seeds. Love them.
  Re: Re: Rye Bread Recipes by swissmiss (Thanks, we will defi...)
Barbara, I have that setting also, but mine is hotter than I like, so I don't use it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com