Cilantro
  Re: (...)
I find that cilantro has a soapy taste(am I the only one). And overwhelms all other flavors.

If one of my recipes includes cilantro I either leave it out or don't even try the recipe.

I know cilantro imparts a certain flavor to the dish and wish to substitute it. I'm not looking for an exact flavor but, something that would compliment the dish as well.

For example last night I made A Puerto Rican fish stew that called for cilantro and just left it out. It was a very flavorful dish indeed but, I wondered what cilantro or another herb would have added to the dish.

Any help would bring me great happiness.
  Re: Cilantro by lv2ck (I find that cilantro...)
I've heard a lot of folks say that (about the soap) - I love cilantro and have never found that taste. It's such a unique flavor, I can't think of anything else to try.

I will say tho, that I love the combination of mint, cilantro and basil...maybe use a combination of mint and basil???? Different, but I bet it would be good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cilantro by lv2ck (I find that cilantro...)
I find cilantro rather soapy tasting too, so don't use it in any dishes. I know parsley doesn't taste the same, but that's what I sub, if I sub anything.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cilantro by bjcotton (I find cilantro rath...)
I heard a radio program about this - there is a small percent of the population, (I don't remember exactly, but I'm thinking <10%) who have your reaction to cilantro. It smells rotten, feels slimy and tastes soapy. My son-in-law has that reaction. One of my favorite sauces is chimmichurri which has equal parts of cilantro and parsley. He'll eat it only because the parsley disguises the cilantro.

Sally
  Re: Re: Cilantro by lxxf (I heard a radio prog...)
You're not using enough> make a guacomole--Use one whole bunch of cilantro-thick stems cut off--2 garlic cloves, juice of one lime-puree-set aside.
Chop one med onion finely, one jalepeno pepper with seeds chopped finely, one half red bell pepper chopped finely, three avacados mashed and left chunky, mix all ingredients well, salt and pepper to taste,-- if you have a mojcajito, mash everything together,--cilantro is not a gentle herb, use a lot--it is meant to be used with agressive seasonings--by the way , it is the most widely used herb in the world-North African, Oriental, Mexican, Southwestern USA, Tex Mex, Caribbean, South American cuisines depend on it--
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cilantro by Old Bay (You're not using eno...)
I've heard quite a few people say soapy - mostly Canadians for some reason!

I would also try a mint/basil type thing like cjs suggested.
  Re: Re: Cilantro by Trixxee (I've heard quite a f...)
I love cilantro, DH... not so much! So I use a little when I cook (because I am determined that eventually he will learn to like it!) and add extra into my portions. How can guacamole, or salsa fresca, exist without cilantro????
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Cilantro by foodfiend (I love cilantro, DH....)
Quote:

I love cilantro, DH... not so much! So I use a little when I cook (because I am determined that eventually he will learn to like it!) and add extra into my portions. How can guacamole, or salsa fresca, exist without cilantro????

Add extra into DH's--just don't tell --
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cilantro by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Is it deja vu or did we already have this conversation?
  Re: Re: Cilantro by HomeCulinarian (Is it deja vu or did...)
Yep. I guess cilantro just repeats on some people.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?