Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Menu
  Re: (...)
This is the third Birthday Menu I have compiled, and I’m going with it…

First menu, featuring Tandoori Turkey Tenderloin from Issue 64, will be made (and reviewed) when the weather warms up a bit more and I am craving Indian food and grilling at the same time. The menu (with the cucumber raita, naan, and an added tomato kachumbar , plus a mango dessert) just seemed to be too summery for this early in May. Especially since our summer weather has fizzled back into damp, cool Spring.

Menu #2 was going to be a Cinco de Mayo celebration taken mostly from Issue 61 with Turkey Empanadas with Mushrooms and Mole, Carnival Slaw, appetizer of Avocado-Pineapple Salad with Shrimp and Lime Vinaigrette, and dessert of coconut rum brownies (my own recipe). But it’s a bit more involved than the other menus and I am not certain if I will feel like doing all of the prep by next week (I had a bit of an “asthma setback” today).

So, allow me to present:

Vicci’s Birthday Dinner Menu
(week of May 4th through 11th)

To celebrate spring and the asparagus that is finally poking up in my garden!

Primavera with Seared Seafood (Issue 63)
Rosemary Olive Oil Boule (Issue 70)
Butter Lettuce Salad with Lemon-Garlic Vinaigrette (no recipe!)
Lemon Cheesecake Souffles with Crushed Raspberry Sauce (Issue 61)

The recipes:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Primavera with Seared Seafood

Serving Size : 2

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
4 jumbo shrimp
4 large sea scallops
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup asparagus tips
1/3 cup diced onion
1/3 cup bell pepper -- (yellow and/or orange),diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 ounces linguine -- or tagliatelle
3 1/2 ounces goat cheese
3/4 cup cherry tomatoes -- halved
1/4 cup frozen peas
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 small lemon -- cut into 2 wedges

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.

Toss the seafood, zest, and seasonings in 1 tablespoon of oil and set aside.

Sweat the broccoli, asparagus, onion, and bell pepper in 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook until the onion begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes., then add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté 1 minute longer.

Cook the pasta in boiling water.

Add 1/2 cup of the pasta water to the vegetables and simmer until they are crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes.

Stir in the goat cheese until melted, then add the tomatoes, peas, parsley, and seasonings.

Transfer the cooked pasta from the water to the pan using tongs; toss to coat with sauce. Keep the pasta warm over very low heat.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high. Sear the scallops until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn them over, add the shrimp, and cook the seafood for an additional 4-5 minutes or just until the scallops and shrimp are firm.

To serve, divide the pasta and vegetables between 2 plates, top with seafood, garnish with lemons.

Source:
"CAH Issue 63"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 593 Calories (kcal); 33g Total Fat (14g Saturated); (48% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 77mg Cholesterol; 259mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 5 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Rosemary–Olive Oil Boule

Makes: 1 boule Total Time: 4 1/2 hours + cooling

FOR THE POOLISH STARTER—
1 1/4 cups bread flour
3/4 cup room-temperature water (70°–90°)
1/4 tsp. room-temperature active dry or instant yeast

FOR THE DOUGH—
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. room-temperature active dry or instant yeast
1/4 cup room-temperature water (70°–90°)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine bread flour, water, and yeast (rehydrated with 1 Tbsp. water from the 3/4 cup) for the poolish starter in a measuring cup or bowl until the mixture looks like lumpy pancake batter. Cover poolish with plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for 3–4 hours. Surface will be bubbly. Refrigerate poolish overnight, then let poolish come to room temperature (about 1 hour) before using it in bread dough.

Whisk together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, rosemary, and salt for the dough in a large bowl. Add yeast (rehydrated with 1 Tbsp. water from the 1/4 cup). Stir remaining water into poolish starter. (It will be very thin.) Using a wooden spoon, stir poolish and olive oil into flour mixture until blended. (Dough will be very wet.) Scrape dough onto well-floured surface and turn with bench knife, adding more flour (from remaining 1/2 cup) sparingly, just until dough can be worked with hands. Turn a bowl upside down over dough and let dough rest for 10–15 minutes to develop gluten.

Knead dough until smooth but still slightly sticky. (Do not add more flour to work surface; if needed, flour hands.) Knead 10–15 minutes more by hand (or 8 minutes by stand mixer on medium speed with a dough hook), or until dough passes "window pane" test (see photo, Issue 73, page 20).

Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover dough with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Degas dough slightly by tri-folding and flipping it over in the bowl; cover dough again and let it rise for 1 more hour.

Shape dough into boule (see photos 1 & 2, Issue 73, page 24). Transfer to a banneton (see Issue 73, page 24) or parchment-lined inverted baking sheet. Cover boule with plastic wrap coated with nonstick spray and let rise 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 475°, with baking stone (or another inverted baking sheet) placed on middle rack. If using banneton, flip boule onto back of cool parchment-lined baking sheet so seam is on the bottom. Slash boule 1/4- to 1/2-inch deep several times across top in design of choice, using a straight-edge razor or serrated knife.

Mist boule heavily with hot water. Immediately slide boule and parchment onto preheated baking stone (or hot inverted baking sheet). Mist inside of oven with 10 sprays of water; close oven door. Wait 30 seconds and repeat. Reduce heat to 450° and bake boule 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 425°; bake boule an additional 10 minutes. Finally, reduce heat to 375° and bake boule 20 more minutes. Remove boule from oven; cool bread on rack 45 minutes.

Lemon Cheesecake Souffles with Crushed Raspberry Sauce

Servings: 8

2 teaspoons unsalted butter -- divided
2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs -- divided
1 cup 2% low-fat milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice -- strained
1/2 cup sugar
4 ounces cream cheese -- cubed, softened
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest -- minced
3 large egg yolks -- room temperature
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 large egg whites -- room temperature
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar

12 ounces raspberries -- frozen
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 pinch salt

Preheat oven to 400F

Coat souffle 8 6-ounce souffle cups with butter, then sprinkle with crumbs, turning to coat. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes; cool completely.

Simmer milk and next 5 ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes

Combine egg yolks and vanilla, then whisk into the lemon mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer pan to a bowl filled with ice water to cool.

Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar to soft peaks in a bowl with an electric mixer on high speed. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Blend 1/3 cup of the whites into the lemon mixture with a whisk, then fold in the remaining whites until there are no white streaks. Fill the cooled cups 1/2" from the top with the batter and bake on a baking sheet until puffed, 20 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer into the center-- the souffles are done when the skewer comes out clean or just slightly moist.

Dust with powdered sugar, serve immediately with warm raspberry sauce.

RASPBERRY SAUCE: Simmer all ingredients in a saucepan for 5 minutes, then crush with a potato masher.

Source:
"CAH Issue 63"

Per serving: 271 Calories (kcal); 9g Total Fat (5g Saturated); (28% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 100mg Cholesterol; 237mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates

Okay, you all know how I cook by now and I have to admit that I will reduce the goat cheese in the pasta. I adore goat cheese, but I think that 1 ounce per serving will be just as tasty and less of the dreaded saturated fat!

Otherwise, I shall try my very best to follow the recipe as instructed. Oh, and because it’s my birthday dinner, I’m doubling the shrimp…

Now, let me ask if there is any way I can make the soufflés a little ahead of time (so they can bake while we eat). Or will they collapse? I will make the raspberry sauce before I begin cooking dinner, though.

(okay, someone please let me know if I did this correctly!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Menu by foodfiend (This is the third Bi...)
Fabulous menu, Vicci! I have a little bit of asparagus poking up in my garden. We've harvested enough for a couple of dinners... hope I have enough for this recipe.
  Re: Re: Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Me by HomeCulinarian (Fabulous menu, Vicci...)
OMG! You had me at Primavera with Seared Seafood!!!!! I may not do it all..(will try hard though)....but it all sounds great! I'm in for sure! Lemon cheesecake souffles...WOW! William is in for a treat from heaven!!!!

BTW, you did it perfectly in my opinion!

Note to self....plan to follow double the shrimp note...MUST do also. Just to be true to the Birthday Girl......Yea....right!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Me by Gourmet_Mom (OMG! You had me at ...)
Great sounding menu, Vicci, and you can count me in. Not sure how to answer your question about the souffles, but hopefully someone else will know.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Me by Mare749 (Great sounding menu,...)
OH YUM, we are definitely IN!

Also, any ideas how to make less souffles? Just half the recipe for 4??? that's still 2 each
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Me by farnfam (OH YUM, we are defin...)
I'm in - sounds so tasty!

Most souffle batters will hold in the frig for a few hours and bake at last minute. I'll probably make four of them also - I don't need to take care of the whole neighborhood ALL the time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Me by cjs (I'm in - sounds so t...)
Jeannette, I harvested all of 3 spears the other day. I'm hoping for the bibb lettuce to kick in sometime during the next week, too.

Daphne, I have a feeling the the shrimp you get are going to be lots better than what we have available here. Actually I was going to triple the amount of shrimp, but held myself back. Thanks for joing me in my little bit o' Birthday Gluttony!

Cis, I went to MasterCook and scaled the souffles to make 4 servings. I should have done that last night when I posted.

And Jean, because you said so, I will make the souffles just before starting dinner and keep them refrigerated, sliding them into the oven just before we sit down to eat. Thanks!

Also, Maryann, thanks for getting me started with this!

Lemon Cheesecake Souffles with Crushed Raspberry Sauce

Serving Size : 4

1 teaspoon unsalted butter -- divided
1 tablespoon graham cracker crumbs -- divided
1/2 cup 2% low-fat milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice -- strained
1/4 cup sugar
2 ounces cream cheese -- cubed, softened
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon zest -- minced
1 1/2 large egg yolks -- room temperature
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 large egg whites -- room temperature
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 cup sugar

6 ounces raspberries -- frozen
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 pinch salt

Preheat oven to 400F

Coat souffle 8 6-ounce souffle cups with butter, then sprinkle with crumbs, turning to coat. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes; cool completely.

Simmer milk and next 5 ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes

Combine egg yolks and vanilla, then whisk into the lemon mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer pan to a bowl filled with ice water to cool.

Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar to soft peaks in a bowl with an electric mixer on high speed. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Blend 1/3 cup of the whites into the lemon mixture with a whisk, then fold in the remaining whites until there are no white streaks. Fill the cooled cups 1/2" from the top with the batter and bake on a baking sheet until puffed, 20 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer into the center-- the souffles are done when the skewer comes out clean or just slightly moist.

Dust with powdered sugar, serve immeidately with warm raspberry sauce.

RASPBERRY SAUCE: Simmer all ingredients in a saucepan for 5 minutes, then crush with a potato masher.

Source:
"CAH Issue 63"

Per serving: 271 Calories (kcal); 9g Total Fat; (28% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 100mg Cholesterol; 237mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates

So what do you think about the egg measurements? Do we use 2 yolks and 2 whites, or 1 yolk and 3 whites?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Me by foodfiend (Jeannette, I harvest...)
I think I'd probably mix up the third egg and add 1/2 of it - buy some small eggs and use three, but that's a waste.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Me by cjs (I think I'd probably...)
I'm going to try 2 yolks and 2 whites, I'll let you know how it works. Btw, those "fake eggs" are suppose to be made from egg whites, so in the event it needs a pinch more liquid, I may add a bit of that. Sound okay?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Vicci's Better-Late-Than-Never B-day Dinner Me by farnfam (I'm going to try 2 y...)
Fake eggs work in a souffle?? I really don't know anything about them.
www.achefsjourney.com