My food adventures in Buenos Aires
  Re: (...)
Hi All,

As some of you know, I have two daughters that live in Buenos Aires. Last week I decided to hop on the plane and surprise my younger daughter for her 24th bday. You should have seen her face when she saw me but thats not the point of the story. She just moved into a new apartment that has a patio with build in traditional argentenian Parilla (basically a bbq ). We had a traditional asada couple of nights. It was incredible tasting considering we had some 2 types of sausages and than something like 7 kinds of meat. One of the meat was a brazilian cut of meat called Picanha. It was 100 times more flavorful than filet mignon (we had filet mignon right after picanha so it was easy to compare) and it was much more tender. It was truly the best meat I have ever had in my life. As soon as I came home I went online to see what in the heck was I eating and to my surprise I found the following link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picanha

I called a couple of local grocery stores and of course nobody heard of this particular cut but one of them said...we have everything bring a description and bring a picture and we will cut it for you. Well, guess what...I am now a proud owner of about 2.5 pound Picanha that I am throwing on the grill over the weekend. Cannot wait, I hope I am not disspointed.
  Re: My food adventures in Buenos Aires by piano226 (Hi All,[br][br]As so...)
Very Interesting - thanks for sharing! Let us know how it turns out!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: My food adventures in Buenos Aires by piano226 (Hi All,[br][br]As so...)
Sounds amazing. Of course, it probably helped that Argentine beef is considered the best beef in the world (except, perhaps, by fans of things like Kobe).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: My food adventures in Buenos Aires by labradors (Sounds amazing. Of ...)
Well, thats what I am a little bit concerned about. The meat is amazing but I still hope that the one I got will come close to it. We shall see. I even brought the salt they use on their meat. Dont know if its any different from what we have here but you know...better be safe. I am sure customs had a field day when they looked into my luggage:3 kilos of salt, dulce de leche, 6 bottles of wine, 10 packages of their traditional cookies, packets of dry chicmichuri herbs and mayonnaise with chimichuri sauce.
  Re: Re: My food adventures in Buenos Aires by piano226 (Well, thats what I a...)
Oh Crap and the bridge is out for two months so we can't get to Central market to see if they can help us. (where were you a couple days ago?????)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My food adventures in Buenos Aires by piano226 (Well, thats what I a...)
Well, since I don't eat red eat (although I will take some of the stuff you brought back in your suitcase!), I am very impressed that you would go to such lengths for your daughter's birthday. She must have been thrilled, and certainly won't ever forget it!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: My food adventures in Buenos Aires by foodfiend (Well, since I don't ...)
Yes, it was crazy to fly for 22 hours to stay there for 4 days but WELL WORTH IT. WHen we were saying goodbye she whispered in my ear, mom dont cry this was the best birthday present you could have ever given me and I will see you in July but it is still sooooooooo hard to have your babies so so far away. I guess we raise them to be independent, successful adults and thats what she is doing but I ask her daily if she really has to do it in Argentina. In all honestly though if I were 24 I would want to live there too...oh well.
  Re: Re: My food adventures in Buenos Aires by piano226 (Yes, it was crazy to...)
Oh that sounds so wonderful! I'm so glad you got to do that, and to see how she appreciates it!!!
There is no way in He!! there is any such meat here, but we do have a very accomadating young butcher who bought the old meat market,(the one who ordered the calamari for me) so I will ask him to read the description.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: My food adventures in Buenos Aires by farnfam (Oh that sounds so wo...)
Great adventure, piano! It's a birthday you'll both remember forever.

Looking forward to finding out how your Picanha turns out.
  Re: Re: My food adventures in Buenos Aires by HomeCulinarian (Great adventure, pia...)
It was a great b'day present - that she (and of course you) will remember always.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com