barbados cherry recipe
  Re: (...)
I have a barbados cherry tree I planted here in Key West, Florida, and this year it's really produced a lot of cherries. Inasmuch as they have an unusual taste that I find very enjoyable, I was wondering if anyone has any recipe for these tasty morsels.
  Re: barbados cherry recipe by Chops52 (I have a barbados ch...)
Here's a couple of ideas for you - I haven't made these, but now you have me on a cherry kick and I'm sure going to!!
Let us know what you do make with the cherries.

Cherry Compote

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...mpote-5425

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Fresh Cherry Chutney
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...-Chutney-232266
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: barbados cherry recipe by Chops52 (I have a barbados ch...)
Quote:

I have a barbados cherry tree I planted here in Key West, Florida, and this year it's really produced a lot of cherries. Inasmuch as they have an unusual taste that I find very enjoyable, I was wondering if anyone has any recipe for these tasty morsels.

Are they sweet or sour cherries?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: barbados cherry recipe by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"Are they sweet or sour cherries?" Yes Bill, they are
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: barbados cherry recipe by bjcotton ("Are they sweet or s...)
Barbados cherries are not anything like either traditional sweet or sour cherries. Even the tree (actually a large shrub - about 15 ft tall and 5 ft.
wide) is not like any regualar cherry tree. The fruit are about 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter, the skins are bright red, deepening to very dark red just before passing their prime, and the fruits contain 3 individual lobed seeds. The ration of seed volume to fruit volume is about 1 to 1, and the taste of the fruit is such that I cannot describe it, other than to say that I love it, and it tastes nothing like any cherry you have ever tasted. Also, on a nutritional tangent, it is VERY high in vitamin C.
I've offered all this info because the responses I've gotten to date seem to assume the Barbados cherry can be used similarly to other more available cherries. Probably the only recipes available specfically for these fruit gems would originate in the tropics, where the tree is found in nature.
  Re: Re: barbados cherry recipe by Chops52 (Barbados cherries ar...)
UF Extension Info on Barbados Cherries

We don't have those here in Illinois. I found some info on the UFlorida Extension website. Let us know what you decide to do with your fruit!
  Re: Re: barbados cherry recipe by HomeCulinarian ( [url=http://okeecho...)
how interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: barbados cherry recipe by cjs (how interesting....)
ok, guys, for any of you still interested, here's what I did with the first picking (about 2 quarts).

I boiled a cup of sugar and a cup of water in a sauce pan and then added the cherries and cooked for about 15 minutes (as you would with cranberries to make basic cranberry sauce.) Then I drained them, reserving the liquid, and used a potato masher to squish the fruit. As this didn't yield all that much "meat", I then carfully put them through a foley mill, large-holes screen in place, and this yielded a lot more of the pulp and juice.

After combining with the original liquid, I used this as the ingredient to add to a basic ice-cream mix in my Cuisineart ice cream maker. It yielded about 2 cups.

Not only was the taste of the ice cream like none other I've ever had, but it was also delicious. This was definitely a GOOD experiment!

Thanx, guy, for all your suggestions.

gk
  Re: Re: barbados cherry recipe by Chops52 (ok, guys, for any of...)
I'd sure like to get my hands on some of those cherries - sounds like you had a winner!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: barbados cherry recipe by cjs (I'd sure like to get...)
Very interesting. Just might have to bring a bag of those home with me... Sounds like it might make a great relish.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."