Hot Brown Sandwich
  Re: (...)
Saw this on the Today show. This is one of the things they are serving at the Kentucky Derby. Sounds delicious...never made it although I plan to.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hot Brown

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 oz butter
6 Tbsp flour
3 1/2 cups milk
1 egg -- beaten
6 Tbsp parmesan cheese -- grated
1 oz whipped cream
12 oz turkey -- sliced
12 oz ham -- sliced
12 slices bread -- trimmed
12 strips bacon -- fried
1 cup whipping cream
8 slices tomato

Melt butter and flour to make a roux. In a 1 quart pot add milk and cream then bring to a simmer for two minutes. Next add the parmesan cheese. Stir well until the cheese has been incorporated. Add 1 Tbsp of the roux and cook for 5 minutes. Temper the beaten egg with a little bit of the cream mixture. Then fold the egg mixture into the mixture left in the pot. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.

For each hot brown, place two slices of bread on a flame proof dish. Cover the bread with a liberal amount of turkey and place two tomato wedges next to the turkey on each side. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey and toast. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese. Place entire dish in the oven at 450 degrees until golden and bubbly. Remove from oven, cross two pieces of bacon on top, and serve immediately.

Description:
"This recipe originated at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY. This is a Kentucky favorite!"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.grouprecipes.com/7553/hot-brown.html"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Hot Brown Sandwich by bjcotton (Saw this on the Toda...)
They also had a Throwdown with Bobby Flay on this dish too

He lost
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Sandwich by DFen911 (They also had a Thro...)
Pull for General Quarters in the race--owner is a 75 year old retired school principal--his only horse--he paid $25,000 for it and tends to it as stable boy. Always his dream--finally the Derby!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Sandwich by Old Bay (Pull for General Qua...)
In the mid-80's, DH was a project architect for the restoration of The Brown Hotel in Louisville and, at the grand re-opening, I tasted my first Hot Brown and fell in looooove. Since then I have reworked the recipe (whipping cream! butter!) and have produced a reasonable fascimile.

Funny this should come up now. Yes, it's "timely" because of The Derby, but I just so happen to be roasting a turkey breast for dinner tonight and one of the Leftover Dinners will be Hot Browns.

So, was mention made of mint juleps?????
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Sandwich by foodfiend (In the mid-80's, DH ...)
Quote:

In the mid-80's, DH was a project architect for the restoration of The Brown Hotel in Louisville and, at the grand re-opening, I tasted my first Hot Brown and fell in looooove. Since then I have reworked the recipe (whipping cream! butter!) and have produced a reasonable fascimile.

Funny this should come up now. Yes, it's "timely" because of The Derby, but I just so happen to be roasting a turkey breast for dinner tonight and one of the Leftover Dinners will be Hot Browns.

So, was mention made of mint juleps?????

We went to the derby in '99--a friend had great seats. We had Hot Browns after and Juleps at the Derby. We had a Julep today watching the race--and as per Jane "I'm having a glass of wine to sober up"--me too!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Sandwich by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I was so thrilled with the race!! 50 to 1 odds. Fantastic.

I love Hot Brown Sandwiches!! Fun day
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Sandwich by foodfiend (In the mid-80's, DH ...)
"So, was mention made of mint juleps?????" Most definitely, they even gave the recipe. I didn't pay any attention since I don't drink....have a cabinet full of liquor though...so if you stop by
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Sandwich by bjcotton ("So, was mention mad...)
Quote:

"So, was mention made of mint juleps?????" Most definitely, they even gave the recipe. I didn't pay any attention since I don't drink....have a cabinet full of liquor though...so if you stop by

Don't be making those kinds of offers, Billy...

The other day DH, out of the blue, said "we should take a vacation to the Pacific Northwest to see if we'd like to retire there.". Wha???? So, beware! It just may happen!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Sandwich by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I sadly did not watch the Derby today. I know....bad girl! I always watch! But I had so many things going on, not to mention dodging in and out of the sun on the deck to mess with this DARNED computer!

I'll share more of what I was doing during the derby tomorrow if the computer will cooperate!

AS for Hot Browns... I had always heard of them, but never had them until last year. I made Bill and Jane's recipe. It was GREAT!

I look forward to making the "original" next year, Billy!

(Luckily, I missed being tempted this year....YUM!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Sandwich by Gourmet_Mom (I sadly did not watc...)
We have Hot Browns almost everytime I cook a turkey - here's a leftover version that isn't quite as bad, but equally delicious, imo. I think it came from a Southern Living mag.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hot Brown Sandwiches - leftovers

6 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/2 cups turkey or chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
12 slices toasted bread
sliced turkey
paprika
12 slices tomatoes
12 slices bacon -- cooked

Directions for Hot Brown Sandwiches

In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Blend in flour; stirring until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper. Gradually add broth and milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.

Add grated cheese; simmer for about 8 minutes. Sauce will be quite thick. Arrange 2 slices of toast on each of 6 ovenproof plates.

Top each slice of toast with turkey slices, cover with sauce, then sprinkle with a little paprika.

Top each with a slice of tomato and a slice of cooked bacon. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Hot brown sandwich recipe serves 6.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com