Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu
  Re: (...)
All the recipes are from Issue #75 - and we have Vicci's B'day dinner review first and then PJ's (hopefully) and this one will be reviewed June 1st.

Spicy Feta Dip
Makes 1 1/2 cups

1/2 lb. feta cheese
4 T. extra-virgin olive oil
4 T. chopped pepperoncini chile peppers
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp. re pepper flakes
1-2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme

Using a potato masher, mash together feta and oil until mixture is smooth and creamy.

Add pepperoncini, lemon juice, oregano, pepper flakes, garlic, and thyme. Mash to combine. Serve dip with pita toasts or fresh veggies.

-------
Roasted Marinated Peppers
Makes 12 servings

6 bell peppers (different colors)
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Roast peppers whole until skins turn brown and peppers begin to soften, about 1 hour. Remove peppers from oven; cool until they can be handled.

Remove and discard pepper stems and skin, being careful not to tear peppers. Cut peppers in half; discard seeds and membranes.

Arrange peppers on a platter, alternating colors. Drizzle peppers with oil and vinegar; sprinkle with garlic. Marinate at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.

-------
Grilled Ouzo Shrimp

Don’t marinate the shrimp longer than 30 minutes. The citrus juice in the marinade will literally cook the shrimp, making them rubbery.
Makes 10 skewers.

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup ouzo or anise liqueur
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup minced garlic
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
2 lbs. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
Cherry tomatoes (Note: Be sure the tomatoes aren’t larger than the shrimp. Otherwise, the shrimp won’t come in contact with the grill.)

Whisk together oil, ouzo, honey, lemon juice, garlic, pepper flakes, and thyme in a bowl.

Add shrimp, cover and marinate 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Thread shrimp and tomatoes onto skewers; grill until shrimp are cook through, about 15 minutes. Serve with the rest of the Ouzo….

-----
Creamy Green Bean Orzo Salad with Buttermilk Chive Dressing
Look for the more delicate and flavorful French green beans called haricots verts.
Makes 2 servings

For the Dressing:
2 T. buttermilk
2 T. mayonnaise
1 T. cider vinegar
2 tsp. snipped fresh chives
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard

For the Salad:
1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 cup diagonally sliced green beans (4 oz.)
1 Roma tomato, seeded and cut into strips
Kosher salt and black pepper

Whisk together the buttermilk, mayo, vinegar, chives, sugar, and Dijon in a bowl to dissolve sugar.

Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to pkg. directions. Add beans during last 2 minutes of cooking, Drain pasta and beans; cool to room temperature.

Add pasta mixture to the tomatoes and dressing; toss until coated. Cover salad; chill until ready to serve.

-----
Banana, Peanut Butter & Chocolate Bombe – changed my mind again, didn’t realize this needed 3 different ice creams to be made and we’re trying to keep the dinners simple.

-----
Blueberry Parfait (with lemon crème Fraiche ice cream)
Makes 4 parfaits

Lemon Crème Fraiches Ice Cream
Makes 1 qt.

3 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup 1/2 & 1/2 or heavy cream
1/2 cup crème fraiche
1 tsp. minced lemon zest

Whisk together egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl until thick and pale yellow; set aside.

Heat milk, 1/2 & 1/2 and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until steam rises. Gradually add half the hot milk mixture to yolks, whisking constantly. Add yolk mixture to remaining hot mixture in saucepan; add the crème fraiche. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook mixture for 5-8 minutes, stirring constantly. (cook till the custard thickens and coats a spoon, leaving a trail that doesn’t quickly disappear on the back of the spoon)

Strain ice cream base into a bowl; add the lemon zest and cool in an ice bath. Cover bowl; chill 4-12 hours. Churn according to ice cream machine directions. Store in covered airtight container up freezer up to 1 week.

--
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu by cjs (All the recipes are ...)
YUMMY! I think my green beans will be ready in time and my herbs are THRIVING, also! These were some of the same things I earmarked in my book! It sounds great Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu by Gourmet_Mom (YUMMY! I think my g...)
Sounds wonderful to me, Jean. But, I'm a little worried about using ouzo on the shrimp as mister picky doesn't like the taste of anise. I know we don't sub on the first go, but in this case I would need to. Any suggestions?

Maybe I just won't marinate his...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu by Mare749 (Sounds wonderful to ...)
Quote:

Sounds wonderful to me, Jean. But, I'm a little worried about using ouzo on the shrimp as mister picky doesn't like the taste of anise. I know we don't sub on the first go, but in this case I would need to. Any suggestions?

Maybe I just won't marinate his...

Try a little tequila--not Greek, but tasty.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm with Bill - tequila. And then we'll work on Ron! He liked the Rhubarb drink.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu by cjs (All the recipes are ...)
I've been looking for an excuse to get another bottle of Ouzo! OOOOppppppaaaaaa! We're in. The feta dip sounds to die for. Of course Ouzo on hand means Teleme cheese flamed with Ouzo. I wish we could get someone to come over for dinner.

Love the lemon & blueberry parfait.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu by Harborwitch (I've been looking fo...)
This sounds soooo good and summer-y!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu by foodfiend (This sounds soooo go...)
Thanks Bill, that's a fine idea to use tequila instead.

Yes, Jean, he actually did like the rhubarb drink and that was pretty amazing. But, I know he really dislikes the taste of anise because I no longer use it in my pizzelles, and now use either vanilla, almond, lemon, rum, hazelnut, etc. Anything but anise. I'll have to see if I can get a little bottle at the liquor store for marinating my portion.
Maryann

Re: Re: Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu by Mare749 (Thanks Bill, that's ...)
Quote:

Thanks Bill, that's a fine idea to use tequila instead.

Yes, Jean, he actually did like the rhubarb drink and that was pretty amazing. But, I know he really dislikes the taste of anise because I no longer use it in my pizzelles, and now use either vanilla, almond, lemon, rum, hazelnut, etc. Anything but anise. I'll have to see if I can get a little bottle at the liquor store for marinating my portion.

We live in the same geographical area, Maryann, but not nearly close enough! I could have been your source for coconut rum (although I really think that everyone needs their own bottle!), and "stopping by" to borrow some ouzo would have been okay, too.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Revamped B'day Dinner Menu by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Vicci, I think it's highly possible that I could become a real nuisance at your house!
Maryann