Homemade tortillas?
  Re: (...)
Has anyone tried making homemade tortillas before? Are they worth it? Or an alternative, does anyone know of a place that I could order homemade tortillas online? Thx!!
  Re: Homemade tortillas? by carolekv (Has anyone tried mak...)
Do you want to make corn or flour tortillas??? Corn are by far the healthiest.

Do you have a tortilla press? Masa Harina (Maseca is the best brand) is the corn flour that you need. Most groceries carry it now. The dough is simply a combination of hot water and Maseca - and it needs to be kneaded.

If you don't have a tortilla press you can split open a ziplock bag, place a ball of dough in the center and then flatten with heavy skillet. The tortillas are then cooked on a dry griddle.

Personally I like to make them. We have good sources for fresh tortillas - but I love fresh. If you need a great recipe let me know.

Also you can make them a bit thicker than usual and stuff them with goodies like cheese and finely chopped carnitas - they are then called pupusas and are usually served with a vinegary "slaw" with cabbage, onions, carrots, and oregano. I love them!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by Harborwitch (Do you want to make ...)
We enjoy the corn, but prefer the flour kind. Here is a recipe we follow, but loosely. If you have a food processor, they work great for both kinds(process about 25seconds instead of kneading). If you don't have a comel, any kind of griddle will do.

Makes: 12 tortillas
I N G R E D I E N T S
3/4 pound (2-3/4 cups ) all purpose flour, plus a little extra for rolling the tortillas
5 tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening, or a mixture of the two
3/4 teaspoon salt
about 3/4 cup very warm tap water

I N S T R U C T I O N S
Put the flour in a large bowl and rub the lard or shortening into the flour using your fingertips. Add the salt to the water to dissolve. Mix the water into the flour a small amount at a time until you form a dough.

Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead it for about 10-15 minutes until it is elastic.

Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll each one into a ball with the palm of your hands. Cover the pieces with plastic wrap while you work. When you are finished cover all the pieces and allow to rest for 30 minutes.

Roll out each ball on a lightly floured surface using a thin rolling pin. Rotate the tortilla one quarter with each roll to keep the shape even. (This takes a lot of practice so do not be disheartened if your first attempts don't make perfect round tortillas). Keep rolling until the tortilla is about 12".

Warm a comal over medium heat. Place one tortilla at a time on the surface (ungreased) and cook for about 45 seconds to 1 minute until the surface beings to blister and lightly brown. Turn the tortilla over and cook the other side for an additional minute.

Wrap the tortillas in a clean dish towel to keep them warm as you heat the rest.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by farnfam (We enjoy the corn, b...)
Thanks! I'm curious too - how do you tell if a restaurant uses homemade or packaged tortillas? Would you guess that most use packaged? I guess I'm now wondering if I've ever even had a fresh tortilla...
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by carolekv (Thanks! I'm curious ...)
In a perfect world, Truth in Menu Law would ensure you were told the truth. Hand made you can tell because they are not all exact and perfect.

I like making them also, don't know why I got away from it. Note to self.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by cjs (In a perfect world, ...)
Bob got me the corn grinder, the dried corn, and I got the slaked lime. While Billy's here we're going to play and make some REAL fresh tamales and goodies. The guys at the little Mexican market we go to thinks I'm nuts!
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by carolekv (Thanks! I'm curious ...)
If you go into a Mexican restaurant and see the the woman patting out the tortillas you'll likely get homemade. Like Jean said - they won't be perfectly flat and round.

Heard this morning that 16 corn tortillas are equal in calories to 2 flour tortillas. Plus corn tortillas are fat free and considered a "whole grain food".
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by Harborwitch (If you go into a Mex...)
I don't know about ordering homemade tortillas online but Trader Joe's has them in corn.
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by coco hernandez (I don't know about o...)
WE use to go to a Mexican Restaurant that served you fresh flour
tortillas and they serve 3 types of butters to go with - one was a
lime butter - any of course can't remember the other two any one have
any recipes for the butters?

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by mjkcooking (WE use to go to a Me...)
There are several compound butter recipes. Basically you soften the butter, add lemon or lime zest and juice, or any herb and roll in parchment and chill until you have a cube again. You can add honey, chipotles, garlic, parsley or whatever you'd like. If I was making lime or lemon I'd probably use the appropriate citrus Boyajian oil instead of the zest so it wouldn't be gritty. If you use zest, grate it with a fine microplane, then let it soak in a some lime juice to soften and then make into a paste before adding it to the softened butter. Here's basic one: for 4 TBS you combine everything but the butter in a mini FP, then add to the softned butter.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1 medium clove garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced to puree (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
Ground black pepper.
Mix together, chill and slice. Hope this helps.