Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe
  Re: (...)
Just saw this on the Honey Board newsletter - we have a lot of recipes that call for chilies in adobo sauce and it's really a hot item. Maybe using this sauce would be a solution for those who find using the chilies just too hot.

I think I'll make it today and add it to the slow cooker chicken & burrito for tonight.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce

3/4 cup chopped onion
1 Tablespoon garlic -- finely chopped
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil -- such as canola
1/4 cup chili powder
1/2 tespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup chicken broth
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cup orange juice
2/3 cup honey
1 bay leaf
Salt -- as needed

Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano and thyme; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 1 minute. In a blender, process chili mixture, chicken broth and vinegar. Put mixture into a saucepan with orange juice, honey and bay leaf. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Season with salt, if necessary.

Description:
"makes 2 cups. Honey Board"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe by cjs (Just saw this on the...)
Will be anxious to hear how you like this. It sounds good, but is missing chipotles and we like those. What else would you do with this sauce?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe by Mare749 (Will be anxious to h...)
Maryann, I was thinking this would be a good substitute for those who don't care for the heat of chipotles - they can be too hot for some. I'm with you, I like them also.

Since chipotles are dried, smoked jalapenos, I guess for the ease of having this to make up at the last minute, adding jalapenos would work to a certain extent. I'll have to try that in part of the mixture. (you're finding more work for me, MS... ) but, it'll keep me off the streets.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe by cjs (Maryann, I was think...)
Jean, I have ground chipotle powder so was thinking that would be good in it for our taste. Still curious what you will use this sauce for.

Sharon gave me this recipe from Rick Bayless to marinade a pork tenderloin. It was fabulous, so thought I would share it here.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Red Chile Adobo Marinade

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

Red Chile Adobo Marinade

3tbs. vegetable oil
6 med dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, and torn into flat pieces.
3 cloves garlic peeled
1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp fresh ground cumin
1/8 tsp fresh ground cloves
1 tsp sugar
Salt
1/3 c. + 1 tbs cider vinegar

Toast the chiles in 3tbs of oil 1 or 2 pieces at a time until very toasty smelling and blistered. Transfer to a bowl. Measure in 2 cups hot tap water and place a small plate on top to keep the chiles submerged. Let rehydrate for about 20 minutes.

Place the garlic, oregano, pepper, cumin, cloves, sugar, 2 tsp salt and 1/3 cup of the vinegar in a blender or food processor. Pour in the rehydrated chiles, liquid and all Process to a smooth puree.

Sharon says:
I hope this helps. It's pretty basic adobo - I like a little more cumin in mine - but that's just me.

Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe by Mare749 (Jean, I have ground ...)
That is the reason I don't use the Chipotles in Adobo is because it is too hot for me. This recipe ought to make a pretty good sauce for me.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe by cjs (Maryann, I was think...)
I've made adobo using dried chilies such as ancho or guajillios (sp? that just doesn't look right!) and use it mostly in the summer for marinating chicken. It's so delicious to marinate the chicken in adobo, then grill it, and serve it with more adobo (that has been thinned a bit with additional orange juice). I once found some adobo in the far reaches of my refrigerator in the fall, and made a chicken stew using the adobo as a base. This was pretty darn good as well.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe by foodfiend (I've made adobo usin...)
"That is the reason I don't use the Chipotles in Adobo is because it is too hot for me. This recipe ought to make a pretty good sauce for me."

HELLO! Exactly who I was aiming for - the BillyJ's of the world!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe by cjs ("That is the reason ...)
Sounds interesting. Have never looked into it before. Then again, I DO use the chiptoles in the adobo, and love it.

P.S.: Vicci, you were close. just get rid of the last "i": guajillos (and they are soooooo good!).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe by cjs ("That is the reason ...)
Thanks for both recipes. I do not like a lot of heat, but do like spice, so these look perfect for my taste.
  Re: Re: Spicy Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe by Cubangirl (Thanks for both reci...)
Sounds good Jean....I just happen to have some ancho chiles in the cabinet that needs to be used!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.