Tabasco vs Crystal pepper sauces
  Re: (...)
Tabasco pepper sauce is made from a tabasco pepper, aged in vinegar, grown on Avery Island (La.). It is a Mexican pepper from the Tabasco Provence of Mexico. Really quite good--loved around the world.

Crystal Hot Sauce--made from aged cayenne peppers (from La.) in vinegar and salt. Also outstanding and loved regionally. Anything labled "Louisiana Hot Sauce" is made the same way--I think Crystal is more authentic.

Try them both--really different--both good. The Crystal is made in New Orleans and has rebuilt after Katrina--Creole and Cajun (and Texan, we also add ancho and pasialla)--give it a try.

"This was not a paid commercial"
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Tabasco vs Crystal pepper sauces by Old Bay (Tabasco pepper sauce...)
I have both and yes, they are different. Both are great! We love a little heat!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I don't think I have ever seen crystal around here. I will have to look for it - maybe at the commissary - sometimes they care different brands than local store chains. Hubby likes tabasco and Franks, and siracha, all three different uses. Doesn't use them as much as when we were first married and he tried to drown everying I made.... Usually I actually prefer just using pepper flakes or cayenne, gives heat without the vinegar taste, but they do have their place!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Tabasco vs Crystal pepper sauces by esgunn (I don't think I have...)
Crystal or any La Hot Sauce has the cayenne pepper flavor and is not as hot as Tabasco, and a different flavor than the tabasco pepper. You can add more cayenne pepper to make it hotter--Crystal or La Hot Sauce is really about flavor with spice. Not heat.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Tabasco vs Crystal pepper sauces by Old Bay (Crystal or any La Ho...)
I'll have to look for that now. My favorite hot sauce is tapatio.

Maybe we could make our own
  Re: Re: Tabasco vs Crystal pepper sauces by DFen911 (I'll have to look fo...)
Right now we're giving "Texas Pete's" a tryout. It's great and I think it's hotter than Tabasco which we also like very much. "Frank's" is next on the list, but need to empty a bottle or two on the shelves before adding more.
  Re: Re: Tabasco vs Crystal pepper sauces by sophia (Right now we're givi...)
I'll have to look for the Chrystal, I'm not much for lots of heat. Thanks, Bill.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Quote:

I think Crystal is more authentic.

Given the information presented, the only statement that could be made about authenticity is that Tabasco would be more authentic if you wish to cook Mexican dishes. Here, for example, there are are least seven brands of sauces using tabasco peppers, and none using cayenne, except for when a couple of import stores happen to have Crystal. I also make my own, homemade, using the wild tabasco peppers here (and the heat is closer to that of Sriracha than to Tabasco).

For authenticity to New Orleans, instead of Mexico or Latin America, Crystal was first produced in 1923, and Tabasco in 1868, so Tabasco has a 55-year head start, as far as the commercial products go. Any other determination would have to rely upon the discovery of older, verified recipes.

Personally, as far as preferences go, I used to prefer Crystal for hot wings, and Tabasco for everything else until I discovered Sriracha. Now I used Sriracha for hot wings and Tabasco (including my homemade tabasco suace) for many other things, but Sriracha for a lot of them, too.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tabasco vs Crystal pepper sauces by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
We like Crystal here also. But since I usually have more luck finding Frank's, we go with that. Tabasco has a totally different flavor.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tabasco vs Crystal pepper sauces by Gourmet_Mom (We like Crystal here...)
Since I was raised using Tabasco, I seem to mostly grab that bottle, but Crystal is sitting right next to it along with Cholula.

I've been thinking of making a batch of "tabasco-like" sauce - my jalapeno plant was absoutely loaded with peppers all last summer and I still have two bags in the freezer and it's time to plant another jalapeno plant.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com