This Roast Lemon Chicken turned out great!
  Re: (...)
This recipe came in an email 5/8/09. Hubby approved.

1 whole chicken 3-1/2-4bls. backbone removed and butterflied
3 T grated lemon zest plus 1/3 C juice from 3 lemons
1 t sugar
salt and pepper
2 C low sodium chicken broth
1 C plus 1T water
1 t cornstarch
3 T unsalted butter
1 T finely chopped fresh parsley

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Combine lemon zest, sugar and 1t salt in small bowl. Rub 2 T zest mixture under skin of chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper and transfer to roasting pan. (seasoned chicken can be refrigerated for 2 hours).

Whisk broth, 1 cup water, lemon juice and remaining zest mixture in 4-cup measuring cup, then pour into roasting pan. (liquid should just reach skin of thighs. If it does not, add enough water to reach skin of thighs.) Roast until skin is golden brown and thigh meat registers 170-175 degrees 40-45 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and let rest 20 minutes.

Pour liquid from pan, along with any accumulated chicken juices into saucepan (you should have about 1-1/2 cups. Skin fat, then cook over medium-high until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Whisk cornstarch with remaining water in small bowl until no lumps remain, then whisk into saucepan. Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Off heat, whisk in butter and parsley and season with salt and pepper, passing the sauce at the table.

My modifications: I sent hubby to the store for a 4 lb chicken and he came back with a 5 lb chicken. So I prepared the chicken as indicated but cooked it at 450 for 45 minutes. I don't like gravy made with cornstarch, so I skimmed some fat from the cooking liquid and used about 2 T of flour and I skipped the parsley. It sure was good though.

Sally
  Re: This Roast Lemon Chicken turned out great! by lxxf (This recipe came in ...)
Mmmmmm, I love roast chicken and this one sounds really good. And I just happen to have a 9-3/4 pound chicken in the freezer, too (and a bag of lemons in the refrigerator as well). Sounds like I'll be making this soon-- thanks for posting!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: This Roast Lemon Chicken turned out great! by foodfiend (Mmmmmm, I love roast...)
Does sound flavorful, Sally - have never done a roasted chicken at such a high temp. hmmmmm
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: This Roast Lemon Chicken turned out great! by cjs (Does sound flavorful...)
I haven't either, but it turned out really well. The broth simmered and poached the chicken as well as roasting it. The skin was very crispy (due to the high temperature) and the rest of the meat was moist and tasty.

Sally
  Re: Re: This Roast Lemon Chicken turned out great! by lxxf (I haven't either, bu...)
I'll have to try this. I've done similar roasting a chicken without the liquid and we LOVE it! I season with Herbs de Provence (sp?). With the weather turning hot, I will have to invest in some aluminum pans for the grill. We are VERY into grilling mode here! More on that to come!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.