CJ! You asked me...
  Re: (...)
I didn't know if you would be going back to Monday's dinner post (since it is now Tuesday) so I wanted to reply to:

Quote:

Vicci, you've kind of lost me in the cooking of your cod - the metal rod, I agree is a little (or more) odd, but have you not browned and finished in the oven before?

Uh oh, now here's the point where you all say "this one's more than a little strange, let's ignore her posts and hope that she goes away!"

No, I've never browned and then finished in the oven before.

There, I have admitted it.

Okay, and here is why. I have a large commercial range. To heat the oven to finish 2 pieces of fish (or chicken or whatever) seems like such a waste to me. I would use my toaster oven, but the interior is smallish, to that's why I finished cooking it on the stovetop!

That being said, the Southbend is way too big for me. I like it, but have my eye on a different type for when we remodel the kitchen (in the future when we have found a contractor...). Jenn Air makes a range with a 5-burner cooktop and a household-sized oven and a smaller auxiliary oven. Once I have this smaller oven (taking less energy and time to preheat, etc.) I will start doing this technique. Until then, I "experiment"...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: CJ! You asked me... by foodfiend (I didn't know if you...)
"Uh oh, now here's the point where you all say "this one's more than a little strange, let's ignore her posts and hope that she goes away!"

haha, never! Your posts are always fun to read. Not only are the recipes you share interesting, but your comments often make me laugh. I feel like I know you..... there is so much personality in your posts! Never, ever go away!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: CJ! You asked me... by chef_Tab ("Uh oh, now here's t...)
Amen! Vicci, don't ever go away. I enjoy your posts and recipes too!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: CJ! You asked me... by bjcotton (Amen! Vicci, don't ...)
""this one's more than a little strange, let's ignore her posts and hope that she goes away!"NEVER!!

Industrial stove/oven really has nothing to do with it, except that it would be faster. Working or at home, I like to crank up the heat for nice browning, but I would burn the hell out of the product if I left it on the burner. Finishing off fish/chicken/beef in the oven gives an even, non-burning heat to finish to the internal temp you want.

I did it working and I still do it at home.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CJ! You asked me... by cjs (""this one's more th...)
May be my silly opinion - but if it's not worth it to turn on the oven for two pieces of fish for you and yours; then who and what is it worth turning it on for?

You are worth the small "extravagance" the recipe requires. If we weren't the fast food joints would really be swamped!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: CJ! You asked me... by Harborwitch (May be my silly opin...)
Okay, you're all now thinking that I'm so off-the-wall that it may be fun to keep me around?!?!?

Maybe I will try the stovetop brown-then-oven bake technique sometime. I always feel, when I turn on that big ol' oven, that I have to bake a few loaves of bread or a tray of 24 muffins or something that!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: CJ! You asked me... by foodfiend (Okay, you're all now...)
Hey, unless the fish is thick, you can finish it in the skillet without burning. We do a "Blackened Redfish" all on the stovetop at high heat, with the vent on, doors open, and the fire alarms going off!!! Wonderfull fare!!
I do finish off my thicker fish in the oven under normal circumstances though. When you can do that you will really like it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: CJ! You asked me... by Old Bay (Hey, unless the fish...)
Well, yes exceptions to every rule... Talapia? Too thin to sear and roast, that's for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CJ! You asked me... by cjs (Well, yes exceptions...)
C@H has a recipe in one of the specialty mags for halibut finished in the oven. It has always turned out great. When he cooks fish (he's the fish cooker in the house), if it's a thick piece, he finishes it in the oven.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: CJ! You asked me... by Lorraine ([url=mailto:C@H]C@H[...)
And here I just do it on the grill....HMMMM?????? But then, I'm not a "fried" fish kinda person. Although, after my trip and "baked" parm crusted halibut in a broth, I may be trying soon....but on the grill to keep the heat down in the house. I'm getting better at using the thing like an oven...LOL...THANK GOODNESS, as the central AC is still out of commission here! More questions on that LATER...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.