Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover??????
  Re: (...)
Oh my, this is the first recipe I've tried from Mother's Day book, Pintxos by Chef Gerald Hirigoyen and is it ever wonderful!! A couple of disclaimers - didn't want to go to the store, so used black beans instead of Cannellini beans. And I probably won't make the ham dust tonight, but will for sure another time - sounds like fun. Oh, and one more thing mentioned in the forward - you 'can' use olive oil, but per Chef Hirigoyen, duck fat unites the flavors and gives the finished dish a better texture (Jean: and it tastes so good!).

So if anyone has a little bit of pork belly left from making bacon...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Poor Man's Cassoulet - Pintxos - Chef Hirigoyen

1/3 cup rendered duck fat (see Sources) or olive oil
1 piece skinless pork belly (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped peeled carrots
1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
6 garlic cloves -- chopped
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon dried juniper berries
2 whole cloves
1 large , ripe tomato, cored and cut into - 3/4 inch cubes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups dried Cannellini beans -- picked over, rinsed, soaked, and drained (see page 173)
3 cups Chicken Stock (page 175) -- Veal Stock (page 185), or good quality commercial chicken or veal stock (see Sources)
Bouquet garni of 3 or 4 thyme sprigs -- 1 bay leaf, and 4 or 5 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, wrapped in a cheesecloth sachet or tied with kitchen twine
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup homemade coarse or fine fresh bread crumbs -- (1/2 to 3/4)
1/3 cup ham dust (optional)
2 T. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

In a large casserole or Dutch oven, heat the duck fat over medium-high heat. When the fat is hot, add the pork belly
and cook on the first side for 2 to 3 minutes, or golden brown. Using tongs, turn and cook on the second side for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.

Add the carrots, celery, garlic, peppercorns, juniper berries, and cloves to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables have just begun to color.

Add the tomato, tomato paste, beans, stock, bouquet garni, and some salt and pepper and stir to dissolve the tomato paste and mix the ingredients well. Return the pork belly to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil.

Decrease the heat to maintain a low simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender but not falling apart and the pork belly is tender when pierced with a fork.

Remove from the heat. Remove and discard the bouquet garni. Transfer the pork to a cutting board and slice it into pieces 1/2 inch thick. Stir the pork back into the beans. (At this point, the dish can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Rewarm on the stove top until just warmed through before continuing.)

To serve, preheat the broiler. Transfer the beans to a shallow, broiler-proof 9 by l3-inch baking dish or divide among 6 shallow baking dishes, each about 5 inches in diameter and 1 inch deep.

Sprinkle the tops) evenly with the bread crumbs and ham dust. Broil for about 2 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are golden. Garnish with the parsley and serve hot.

TO DRINK
Sometimes when you are not sure whether a rich white or a light red would be better, a serious dry rose is the perfecr choice. That is the case with this dish. Sip a Navarre rose made from Garnacha grapes. You may enjoy it so much that a siesta will be in order. L D F

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover?????? by cjs (Oh my, this is the f...)
That sounds great, Jean. What's "ham dust"? I have lots of leftover ham.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover?????? by Lorraine (That sounds great, J...)
I was wondering the same thing, Lorraine. I even googled it and did not get much info, except that if I wanted to order it, it is out of stock at the moment. I wondered if it is a ham flavored powder, if not the real thing. Enlighten us Jean!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover?????? by chef_Tab (I was wondering the ...)
We're on our way to help Camaraderie bottle some wine today, so will post the method for the ham dust in the morning. Very similar to citrus dust, Lorraine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover?????? by cjs (We're on our way to ...)
I thought of the citrus dust, Jean. Looking forward to seeing the recipe.
  Re: Re: Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover?????? by Lorraine (I thought of the cit...)
From the book - pintxos - I'm going to try it with some regular ham I have in the freezer.

Ham Chips and Ham Dust

Preheat oven to 225°F. Arrange tinly sliced (about 1/8") serrano ham in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the slices are crisp and thoroughly dried.

To test whether the ham is fully dried, let it sit at room temp. for a few minutes; if it breaks rather than bends, it is ready. Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.

To make ham dust, grind the chips to a coarse powder in a food processor. You should have about 1/3 cup dust.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover?????? by cjs (From the book - pint...)
I bought some Serrano ham from La Tienda. Time to use it. Thanks, Jean!
  Re: Re: Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover?????? by Lorraine (I bought some Serran...)
Quote:

I bought some Serrano ham from La Tienda. Time to use it. Thanks, Jean!

Then don't forget to try the Serrano Ham and Poblano Corn Pudding. YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover?????? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Labs, how did I miss this recipe????? oh my, and no poblanos handy...but, Roy Rogers loves to go to the store!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Have a Bit of Pork Belly Leftover?????? by cjs (Labs, how did I miss...)
Quote:

Labs, how did I miss this recipe????? oh my, and no poblanos handy...but, Roy Rogers loves to go to the store!

Can't say. I posted it back in the thread about the discussion of La Tienda and their Manchego cheese and Serrano ham.

Haven't made this in quite a while. Maybe it's just about time to make it again.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?