If I Knew You Were a-Coming, I'd a-Baked a Cake...
  Re: (...)
Baked a cake, baked a cake,

If I knew you were a-coming I'd a-baked a cake,

Howa do, howa do, howa do!!

Sorry to have butchered those lines, but trying to find the song on the IMDB - Internet Movie Data Base - for "Same Time, Next Year", was painful, so I went by memory.

Okay, So it's the Hubby's BD this weekend and he wants the 3-layer, Death-by-Chocolate cake I made for him many, many moons ago. Personally, the C@H's Flourless Chocolate Torte is less painful, and that only takes two days to do.

It's a McCall's Cookbook recipe that I received by mail, but never bought the book.

I have the cake layers down pat, I bought three cake tins, they're dark so I need to cook less time for the doneness, so that's not the problem, I can even out the layer portions. I need help with the icing portions. The icing recipe is absolutely delicious and he wants like 1/2" between the layers, so I end up making 3 batches only to have the "outside layer" too thin. What's the ratio of inside layer to outside layer of icing? And for a 3-layer cake? The layers actually work out to be 2 1/2" a piece.

I've been looking for a cake book that will help me portion the icing layers, but I haven't found any such book yet.

Could someone help me with the portions?

Here's the recipe:

CAKE:

1 C unsweetened cocoa
2 C boiling water
2 1/4 C sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp slt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 C butter (Plugra is GRE-EAT!!)
2 1/2 C granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2tsb vanilla extract

FROSTING: (and I make 3 batches of this, be still all your hearts)

1 pkg (6 oz) semisweet pieces - screw that, I use Ghiradelli bars
1/2 C light cream
1 C butter - again, Plugra, love the Hubby to death, literally
2 1/2 C Confectioners butter

The original recipe calls for a whipped cream filling that really collapsed under the weight of the layers, so I never did that again.

Please help me you Chefs! I have to make each icing batch one at a time and had to work it on the cake at once because it would melt if it wasn't refrigerated after an hour. I do it in a glass bowl over ice with a hand mixer cause that's the only way I know how.

Yeah, it's a PITA, but he's put up with my for 22 years, I can do something for him at least once a year.

TIA!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: If I Knew You Were a-Coming, I'd a-Baked a Cake... by BarbaraS (Baked a cake, baked ...)
Since it seems you have to do the work twice anyway, have you considered makiong a different filling and then just using the recipe above for the frosting? I was thinking of perhaps a simple ganache or a something like this CI one?

Cool the chocolate to between 85 and 100 degrees before adding it to the butter mixture.
Ingredients
20 tablespoons (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter , softened (60 to 65 degrees)
1 cup confectioners' sugar (4 ounces)
3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
Pinch table salt
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces semisweet, or milk or bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly

In food processor, process butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Add corn syrup and vanilla and process until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl, then add chocolate and pulse until smooth and creamy, 10 to 15 seconds. The frosting can be be used immediately. It can be made 3 hours in advance. For longer storage, refrigerate the frosting, covered, and let it stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using.

You could use this for your filling, you'd have enough for all layers and do the other one for your frosting. Just a thought.
  Re: Re: If I Knew You Were a-Coming, I'd a-Baked a Cak by Cubangirl (Since it seems you h...)
Wish I could help you, Barbara, but I'm completely out of my element with baking/pastry - plus I guess I really don't know what you're asking...so I'll just head off.

But, good luck and your husband's lucky to have you spoil him at least once a year and I'll bet it's more often than that!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: If I Knew You Were a-Coming, I'd a-Baked a Cak by cjs (Wish I could help yo...)
Sorry, I'm no help either, Barbara, but it sure sounds great! Let us know what you work out, or better yet, take a pic. We can all learn from this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: If I Knew You Were a-Coming, I'd a-Baked a Cak by Mare749 (Sorry, I'm no help e...)
Well, I usually end up with too much frosting between one of the layers, and too little on the sides. But it's all good!

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking I should take a class about this in the future.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: If I Knew You Were a-Coming, I'd a-Baked a Cake... by BarbaraS (Baked a cake, baked ...)
Okay, so to continue on with the recipe and instructions - this is an impressive cake!

In a medium bowl, combine the cocoa and boiling water. Let completely cool.

Sift flour with soda, salt, and baking powder.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease well and flour 3 - 9 x 1 1/2" tins with butter and flour - use cocoa so not to leave a white edge.

In a large bowl of a electric mixer, at high speed, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla - about 5 minutes. At low speed, beat in the flour mixture and cocoa mixture (in third), beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Carefully loosen sides with spatula; remove from pans; cool on racks.

Frosting: In medium saucepan, combine chocolate, cream. and butter; stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat. With whisk (yeah, right, I use a hand-held mixer), blend in 2 1/2 C of confectioner's sugar in bowl set over ice. Beat until it holds shape (this is the PITA part of the recipe, but my oh my, this icing is oh so good!)

The original recipe called for a filling with only one recipe of icing:

! C heavy cream, chilled
1/4 C unsifted confectioner's suger
1 tsp vanilla extract

This would go in between the layers instead of my two extra doses of icing. But it got flattened out and wasn't attractive.

I hope if someone does this could give me a review!

Barbara
  Re: Re: If I Knew You Were a-Coming, I'd a-Baked a Cake... by BarbaraS (Okay, so to continue...)
Barb,

With your being near Philly, you should be making the Le Bec Fin Chocolate Cake!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?