Dinner? Wednesday 5/20
  Re: (...)
I'm joining Lorraine in the freezer again - got to use up goodies!

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner? Wednesday 5/20 by cjs (I'm joining Lorraine...)
Lentils!!
Work these into a very tasty dish with turkey bacon, onion, garlic and spinach over whole wheat pasta. Very satisfing and sorta healthy too
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner? Wednesday 5/20 by farnfam (Lentils!![br]Work th...)
Oh Cis, I so envy you that you can eat whole wheat pasta! I just can't stomach the stuff, but wish I could. Your meal sounds real healthy to me.

Not sure what dinner will be. I just got home from an appointment at the weight management clinic at the hospital where I used to work. Eating as we know it now is about to change, but fortunately it happens in baby steps. My lesson for this week is to start my dinner with soup or salad, then protein, then carbs last, and only a 1/2 cup of anything starchy.

So, from here on, I will be open to any and all dinner menu suggestions to keep from getting bored. But, for today, it will probably be a salad and a pork chop on the grill.

Does anybody know where Jeanette has been? I know she will have an arsenal of good ideas!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner? Wednesday 5/20 by Mare749 (Oh Cis, I so envy yo...)
May I make a suggestion for some of your menus, Maryann? I've been playing with using my salad dressings to brush on meat I'm grilling to give a little continuity to my dinners. So, if you find a great, HEALTHY salad dressing you might try it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner? Wednesday 5/20 by cjs (May I make a suggest...)
I don't know what I'm going to have for supper tonight. I got a pork belly out of the freezer and saw some pork spareribs, so am thawing them both out. I have to get a hold of Sharon to find out what all was in the cure she uses on her bacon....man, oh man, was it good...so when I get it I'll be making bacon. I don't know what I'm going to do with the spareribs, but something.

It was in the 100's (temp wise) at Sharon's, 107°F one day and 100°F the next and then when I left on Tuesday it was supposed to be ~mid 80's. When I arrived home it was about 58°F...geez it was cold. It's noon-thirty now and 61°F.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner? Wednesday 5/20 by bjcotton (I don't know what I'...)
I have tuna steaks thawing, and it's about 85F now, so I'll do them on the grill with a brushing of balsamic vinegar/olive oil. I can't decide between grilled asparagus, red peppers, and potatoes or a grilled red onion, spinach (not grilled!) and white bean salad with rice on the side. It's only 6:00. I have about a half hour to figure it out!

Actually, I've been outside for most of the day, just took a shower, and am sitting here wondering if it's too early to go to bed... wouldn't have to cook dinner...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Dinner? Wednesday 5/20 by cjs (May I make a suggest...)
Jean, I'm always happy to have your suggestions! Thank you for this one, it's a good one and not something that we have tried, except for marinading. Can you give me an example of what you would glaze a steak with?
Maryann

Re: Re: Dinner? Wednesday 5/20 by Mare749 (Jean, I'm always hap...)
Maryann, I tested my White Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette for a salad and brushed it on the lamb chops a couple hours before I grilled them. Very good flavor -

Wonderful Honey-Balsamic Dressing

2 T. white balsamic vinegar
1 T. honey
1/2 T. Dijon mustard
1 shallot, minced
1 cup olive oil

Combine the vinegar, honey, mustard and shallot in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in the oil slowly forming an emulsion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
-----

It was really good with the Lamb. I'll let you know the others that I try.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner? Wednesday 5/20 by cjs (Maryann, I tested my...)
Copied and saved! And yes, please do keep me posted on any others that you try. I'm thinking that would add a really nice flavor.

Vicci, that's how I do tuna on the grill as well. Fantastic, isn't it? One of my favorites.
Maryann

Re: Re: Dinner? Wednesday 5/20 by bjcotton (I don't know what I'...)
Sweetie Pie Billy brought us a wonderful steamer - I'm steaming some brown rice right now and we're going for pork fried rice with some leftover pork we put on the rotisserie while Billy was here and some potstickers. Easy dinner, maybe I'll steam some broc.

Jean we have found the most wonderful balsamics from a company in Modesto. Bob and I fell madly in love with the pear balsamic (a golden) and Saturday when Billy and I were at the Farmers' market I got a Pear Rose vinegar. Man O Man the flavor is incredible. The Pear Balsamic is great with Hazelnut oil, greens, some gorgonzola, and chopped toasted hazelnuts. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!