Food For Thought - Umami
  Re: (...)
I have been reading this really interesting book -
Proust was a neuroscientist by Jonah Lehrer . And there is a chapter on Auguste Escoffier and the change in serving/creating/enjoying food and the creation of taste.

And there was also a section on the discovery of Umami - considered the 5th taste. And the Japanese man who actually discovered Umami and went on to create MSG (MSG has Umami - Umami IS NOT MSG.) But he discovered it in 1907, but scientist did not acknowledge/prove the "5th Taste" until 2000.

Anyway - this is really rambling. But it is Realy facinating. Tomatoes, meat, red wine, parmesean cheese, soy sauce, fish sauce, all these food contain Umami.

There was this article I found that talked about it more... Umami the 5th taste

And I am going to see if my Library has this book - Umami: Cooking with the 5th Taste

In one thing I read it also talked about how using foods with natural Umami, you can cut salt because it makes salt taste "saltier" and cut fat because of the "mouth feel" in foods that have umami. Also that foods are more satisfying that have the umami taste so you don't tend to eat as much as you would from a bland (non-umami) food.

Have any of you read/heard about Umami?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Food For Thought - Umami by esgunn (I have been reading ...)
Yes, I've heard of and read a little about it. Used to be a joke in school that if we couldn't correctly describe a flavor, we'd just say it was an example of umami...

I'll have to look for those books, thanks Erin.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food For Thought - Umami by cjs (Yes, I've heard of a...)
Very cool, Erin. I'm going to read up and research that. I really love the whole 5th taste idea!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Food For Thought - Umami by farnfam (Very cool, Erin. I'...)
Fascinating information, Erin. Thanks for bringing this up. It will be fun to read more about it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."