Lorraine's BBQ Ribs
  Re: (...)
I haven't done ribs in a long time and had a slab in the freezer and thawed them out. Then, I didn't know what to do with them...I remembered copying Lorraine's recipe, so I'm trying it. The BBQ sauce is tasty anyway.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Lorraine's BBQ Ribs by bjcotton (I haven't done ribs ...)
I'm free!!!!!!!!!

At least for three days! We made it through initial testing this week and I came out good! But I have still to remediate and retest those poor souls who did not quite make it. Work, work, work...right to the end! They're killing me!

Good luck Billy! I know it will be good! I have GOT to get my rubs (and sauces) in order this summer....I have so many that I like, but they don't always work for all meats! I've got a GREAT rub for chicken, but it sucks for pork....go figure.....

Let us know how it works out!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lorraine's BBQ Ribs by Gourmet_Mom (I'm free!!!!!!!!![br...)
Well, Paul doesn't like BBQ sauce on his ribs, so I cut the slab in half and just sauced my half. He put the wrong half in the oven to finish it (I was gone) and ate over half of them. I told him before I left, HIS had NO sauce on them. How that translated into him eating half of the SAUCED ribs I'll never know. As he walked out the door, he asked me, "Got any more of that sauce?" What a dork!

Billy
  Re: Re: Lorraine's BBQ Ribs by bjcotton (Well, Paul doesn't l...)
I have several recipes from Lorraine, but don't seem to have that one, Billy. Would you mind posting it?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Lorraine's BBQ Ribs by Mare749 (I have several recip...)
I hope he posts it also. If it's my brother's recipe, I've misplaced it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Lorraine's BBQ Ribs by Lorraine (I hope he posts it a...)
hmmm, wonder if I have it...time to do ribs again, been quite a while.

edited to add - I just did a search for "Lorraine" in my MasterCook - I got 99 hits!!! Recipes and/or comments over all the years. Didn't see one for her brother's ribs, but did find this one from a long time ago when I was new to LCBO magazine. It's so good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

STICKY RIBS W/CHINESE FLAVORS

Made these last nite and are they ever good! The recipe is from the LCBO magazine Lorraine sent me a while back. (side note: also the Grilled Spice-Coated Potatoes & the Bacon-Wrapped Trout were great dishes too!!)

STICKY RIBS W/CHINESE FLAVORS
Serves 4-6

2 racks meaty baby back pork ribs
Salt & freshly ground pepper (I used the Hotel Good Sh*t-salt, white pepper, garlic, and a little 5-spice)
Vege oil, for greasing pan
2 tsp. coarsely chopped garlic
1/4 c red pepper jelly
3 T. hoisin sauce
2 T. soy sauce
2 tsp. red chili paste
1 T. oyster sauce
1 T. honey
1/2 tsp. 5-spice powder

Preheat oven to 300°.
Season ribs generously. Put ribs on oiled sheet, bone-side down. Fill botom of pan with water & cover ribs tightly w/foil. Put ribs in oven.

Bring remaining ingred. to simmer in small saucepan over med. heat. Stir to combine and set aside.

Bake ribs 2 1/2 hours or till ribs are tender when pierced w/a knife. If bottom of pan dries out during cooking, add more water. Discard foil & brush ribs w/sauce. Continue baking ribs for 30 min. longer.

(At this time I chilled and kept for service.)

Preheat the grill on med-high heat. Remove ribs from oven (or frig.) & brush both sides w/sauce. Grill 3-5 min. per side. basting occasionally w/sauce.

Transfer ribs to a board and let rest 5 min. Cut each rack into 2 sections and serve...with lots of napkins!!

Lorraine, that magazine is wonderful!!

------

Now, I'll wait for Billy to come thru.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lorraine's BBQ Ribs by cjs (hmmm, wonder if I ha...)
I forgot about those, and they are excellent! It's been a while, time to make them again!

Lorraine, now I do remember that it was your brother's recipe that you posted a while back. I have one in my mastercook that I copied down and forgot to add the author/source for it. Does anyone recognize this?

BEST BBQ SAUCE

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup dark rum
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot -- chopped finely
1 cup brown sugar -- firmly packed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup peach or orange marmalade
1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 dash black pepper

Description:
"This has an asian twist"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Lorraine's BBQ Ribs by Mare749 (I forgot about those...)
Of course I'll post it. It's delicious!

Lorraine's Barbecue Ribs

Recipe By :Lorraine - C2C
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pork-Ham

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 pounds ribs
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup soy or oyster sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
4 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Remove all silverskin from ribs. Wrap in double thickness of aluminum foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350F. Unwrap and drain drippings. I don't drain. Combine all other ingredients and pour over ribs. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.

Remember to baste them and turn them over every once in a while. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or grill 30 minutes, basting with sauce. The meat falls off the bones, and the taste is great.

Billy
  Re: Re: Lorraine's BBQ Ribs by bjcotton (Of course I'll post ...)
Yum. What great recipes! Can't wait. NEED TO GO BUY RIBS!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Lorraine's BBQ Ribs by esgunn (Yum. What great re...)
I'm with you, Erin, it's rib time! We have to go to Sam's Club this week, hopefully they will have them for a good price. All the recipes sound fabulous.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.