The guanábana revisited
  Re: (...)
Quite a while back, I mentioned a fruit, shaped like a green, spiky football, called guanábana.

A friend of mine has a small guanábana tree in his backyard, and he sent me an email, today, saying his helper had picked one that I could have, and was on the way over with it.

The guanábana is a very messy, sticky fruit to eat, with lots of "pockets" that each have a seed. Having tried just eating it directly, I can definitely say that, by far, the easiest (and most popular) way to enjoy a guanábana is to make juice from it.

When I first searched the web about these, more than four years ago, I found a few pictures and descriptions, but I just found an interesting, newer web page that not only shows more-detailed pictures, but also shows and describes the juice-making process.

Here, then, is a web page about someone's encounter with guanábana juice while in Ecuador. What it shows and describes is what I did, tonight, after receiving the guanábana. YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: The guanábana revisited by labradors (Quite a while back, ...)
Now I am really confused. In Cuba we had anones and guanabanas. I loved anones, my favorite fruit of all, but did not particularly care for guanabanas. However, the picture and description you gave look like the anones I used to have. I have not had one in many years. They are now available in Miami, but I've never been there while in season and I can't get them sent to me in CA. I am going to check with my parents to see if the fruits are related or if this is case of different names given in different countries. I ate them cold, the same way one would eat an old fashioned watermelon with seeds.
  Re: Re: The guanábana revisited by Cubangirl (Now I am really conf...)
The guanábana (as seen in the link I posted above) is called "soursop" in English.

The anón, on the other hand, is called "sweetsop," "custard apple" or "sugar apple" in English:

[Image: 800pxsugarapplefl.jpg]

Given their respective names, I would guess that anones are sweeter than guanábanas and, for that reason, probably more people would prefer anones, but I've never seen nor tasted one to know for myself.
  Re: Re: The guanábana revisited by labradors (The [i]guanábana[/i]...)
That's one big fruit, Labs!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: The guanábana revisited by Lorraine (That's one big fruit...)
Now that's a fascinating fruit, but looks so time intensive to work with. Would it be possible to use a food mill instead of doing it by hand? Can you compare the juice to anything we might know in the U.S.?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The guanábana revisited by Mare749 (Now that's a fascina...)
That is interesting. I'm with Maryann....is there something to compare here?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The guanábana revisited by Gourmet_Mom (That is interesting....)
It looks like a bunch of grapes that grew too close to a nuclear power plant
  Re: Re: The guanábana revisited by DFen911 (It looks like a bunc...)
I don't think a food mill would work. Anon is wonderful, the sweet pulp is worth the trouble of spitting out the seeds. I have never seen anything comparable in the US. If you want to see a variety of fruits not usually seen here go to the cubanfoodmarket.com website. They mail fruit but not allowed in CA so it does not help me. Mamey is another wonderful fruit.
  Re: Re: The guanábana revisited by Cubangirl (I don't think a food...)
Maryann and Daphne, I can't really compare it to anything else. Some web sites say the flavour somewhat resembles that of strawberries, but I don't get that when I taste it.

Some things really do taste like others. For example, rambutans (similar to lychees) taste a lot like grapes. Guanábana, though, seem unique, to me.
  Re: Re: The guanábana revisited by labradors (Maryann and Daphne, ...)
it's umami...dum de dum dum...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com