Dried bean threads
  Re: (...)
In the "you never know what you'll find in the stores around here" department, I saw something different the other day.

They were labeled "Dried Bean Threads," but they were not what I would have expected. Before, when I have seen the term "dried bean threads," it always applied to the thin "glass" or "cellophane" noodles made from mung beans. These, however, were wide, irregular, and yellowish, and made from soy. The best description I can give is that they looked like the strands of egg in egg-drop soup, only longer (yea, folded) and dried.

Are any of you familiar with these? If so, what are some typical dishes for them, and how should they be prepared and used?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Dried bean threads by labradors (In the "you never kn...)
Since I don't get to the Asian market very often, I am of no use here. I don't remember seeing them when last there. I will be anxious to hear.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dried bean threads by Gourmet_Mom (Since I don't get to...)
I love to spend time in our Asian stores, but cannot remember seeing these. Dried soybean threads? I'll have to look closely in the noodle aisle next time. Let us know what you do with them, too!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Dried bean threads by foodfiend (I love to spend time...)
Quote:

Let us know what you do with them, too!

Haven't bought them yet, and my Palm Pilot's batteries were running a little low, so I didn't get a photo. Maybe Friday.
  Re: Re: Dried bean threads by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)

Labs:

I have a recipe for dried bean curd - wonder if you could use the threads as a sub?

Here's the recipe:

Rainbow Salad

3 stalks celery
2 carrots
1 green onion
6 sliceds dried bean curd
1 egg

Marinade:

3 Tbs. soy
1 Tbs. vinegar
1 tsp msg (optional)
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. minced ginger root

Soak dried bean curd in warm water for 15-20 minutes. Drain and cut into thin
strips. Beat egg and fry into a sheet. Cut egg and evetables into thin strips (toothpick size) and combine with bean curd. Add MARINADE mix well and serve.

Let me know if you try this - always thought dried bean curd tasted like
rubber bands - not sure where I came up with that one !

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Dried bean threads by mjkcooking ([br]Labs: [br][br]I ...)
Have not seen these at the Asian market we go to - but will make a note to look when the bridge is done and we can get over there again. hmmmmm, interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dried bean threads by mjkcooking ([br]Labs: [br][br]I ...)
Quote:

Let me know if you try this - always thought dried bean curd tasted like
rubber bands - not sure where I came up with that one !

Thanks. The taste was another question, so we'll see.

"Rubber bands" is exactly how I've always felt about bivalve mollusks (clams, mussels, oysters, scallops, etc.), So if these "threads" really give you that impression, maybe they're not for me, either.
  Re: Dried bean threads by labradors (In the "you never kn...)
I found this recipe online, Labs, and it reminds me of cellophane noodles and of
some of the chicken salads that were popular in the 80's with fried cellophane noodles - that might mean that the texture is crunchy. Don't know; just offering my link:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/00..._salad.php
  Re: Re: Dried bean threads by sophia (I found this recipe ...)
Now this is really interesting. I've never seen anything like that, at least I don't think so, and we go to an Asian market quite regularly. They have an entire aisle devoted just to noodles and that's not something I've ever seen, so will have to check it out.

Something I've always been curious about and never tried is bubble tea. Does anyone know anything about that?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dried bean threads by Mare749 (Now this is really i...)
Oh my kids are big bubble tea fans, so they've had me try it when we were in OH. It's sort of like tapioca, in that the beads soak in the flavor and get bigger, like bubbles. I guess it has lots of other flavors and juices too, but the bubbles are something like tapioca
Cis
Empress for Life