Pickled Beets for Jeannette
  Re: (...)
Here is the recipe Sweetie. I've made them several times, one time I subbed Balsamic vinegar and it was delicious too!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pickled Beets

Recipe By :Earl Vasterling, Roseburg, OR
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fruits-Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 quarts small beets quartered
6 cups vinegar or (balsamic vinegar - per Paul Si
4 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups sugar
2 tablespoons allspice
2 3 inch cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon hot horseradish per pint jar

1. Combine vinegar, water, salt, sugar, allspice, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves and bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

2. Try to group beets of the same size in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Boil until tender, 10-3- minutes.

3. Peel the skins off of the beats and cut into bite sizes.

4. Put beets in prepared pint jars and pour hot mixture over, leaving ¼ - ½ inch head space.

5. Be sure to add the ¼ tsp hot horseradish to each jar.

6. Place hot lids on the jars and fasten tightly.

7. Place hot jars on a towel to cool and seal. If jars do not seal, refrigerate and use promptly.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pickled Beets for Jeannette by bjcotton (Here is the recipe S...)
Sounds good, thanx! Now, we'll have to see how well our beet plants are able to produce!
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets for Jeannette by HomeCulinarian (Sounds good, thanx! ...)
I love these, Billy! Thanks for the recipe!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets for Jeannette by Mare749 (I love these, Billy!...)
I'm thinking local beets should be coming into season soon. And, I just bought a new water canning pot and jars.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets for Jeannette by Lorraine (I'm thinking local b...)
I just may put some up this summer/fall - haven't for a few years. We love them also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets for Jeannette by Lorraine (I'm thinking local b...)
You don't have to do a Hot Water Bath Lorraine. Just put the beets in the jar, pour hot liquid over, cover a counter with a thick town, put the lids on tight, sit upright and listen for the "tink" as they seal. If they don't seal, eat 'em!

Billy
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets for Jeannette by bjcotton (You don't have to do...)
uhhhh, I'm with Lorraine on the hot water bath for beets - much safer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets for Jeannette by cjs (uhhhh, I'm with Lorr...)
I'm not against the water bath, just saying it isn't something you HAVE to do for them to seal.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets for Jeannette by bjcotton (I'm not against the ...)
I shared my crop of beets last year with one of the older ladies I work with and she shared a quart her pickled beets with me. They were delicious and I planned on getting her recipe, but I have this one copied into my file now. The horseradish in there sounds yummy!

And I cast my vote on running them through a water bath for 20 minutes just to reinforce that seal. I have had much better luck doing things that way.

And Lorraine, just found a perfectly unused canning kettle and basket for $4 at a yard sale. I just accumulate these things, one can't have too many when you are up to your ears in bushels of tomatoes!
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets for Jeannette by iBcookin (I shared my crop of ...)
Quote:

just found a perfectly unused canning kettle and basket for $4 at a yard sale

What a great deal! I searched all the stores here and couldn't find any. Finally had to buy one at Amazon.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.