Beer Battered Cod/Halibut
  Re: (...)
Used this batter recipe for the cod and halibut we deep fried last Wednesday night and it is such a tasty and light batter that it will probably be my go to for a while. I did add a little sugar and cayenne to it and we all liked the addition.

Beer-Battered Onion Rings
From MasterCook library

5 ounces flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
Pinch cayenne
1 egg
1 cup beer
flour, as needed for dredging
2 pounds onions – whole (or fish, as we did)

1. Sift the dry ingredients together.

2. Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Add the beer to the beaten egg.

3. Add the egg-and-beer mixture to the dry ingredients; mix until smooth.

4. Peel the onions and cut in 1/2-inch (2-centimeter) thick slices.

5. Break the slices into rings and dredge in flour.

6. Dip the rings in the batter a few at a time. Using the swimming method, deep-fry at 375ºF (190ºC) until done. Drain on absorbent paper, season with additional salt and white pepper and serve hot.

-----

I prefer to fry my fish at 350 F. and remove as soon as they hit 140F. man, these were tasty little devils.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut by cjs (Used this batter rec...)
Sounds fabulous, Jean. Not something I'll be eating for a while (gotta do some damage control) but I'm going to save it for an indulgence down the road.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut by Mare749 (Sounds fabulous, Jea...)
Oh my goodness! I'll have to try this out this summer! Thanks Jean! I love the other recipe you gave me for Fried Fish Tacos, but I'll give this a try for comparison!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my goodness! I'l...)
I love battered fish, and we have a case of frozen tilapia. Thanks,. Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut by Lorraine (I love battered fish...)
I have torn my house apart and gone thru every old recipe book I have made and I could not find this recipe for beer batter!! I used to make it so often that I didn't need the recipe, but now I do. I even searched over at C2C (and got hung up reading old, old threads ) and could not find it. But, here it is, thank God.

I sure don't understand the date tho - maybe this one isn't the 'old one' - crap.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut by cjs (I have torn my house...)
Funny you should post this today. I think someone is bringing some fresh caught sturgeon to us today. MMMMMM.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut by Harborwitch (Funny you should pos...)
You can make a basic beer batter by just substituting beer for the water in the basic tempura batter.

Thus,
  • 1 Cup Flour
  • 1 Cup Ice-cold water
  • 1 Egg

Becomes
  • 1 Cup Flour
  • 1 Cup Ice-cold BEER
  • 1 Egg
You may add salt, pepper or spices as you wish, but it's usually better just to let the basic batter be a basic batter with the additional flavouring being adding by dipping sauces, etc.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut by labradors (You can make a basic...)
Have to disagree with you on this one, Labs - I love the flavored light batter (by light I mean fairly thin so it's not all deep fried batter) - and this one is perfect.

from above post -
Beer-Battered Onion Rings
From MasterCook library but adapted

5 ounces flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
Pinch cayenne
1 egg
1 cup beer
flour, as needed for dredging
2 pounds onions – whole (or fish, as we did)

1. Sift the dry ingredients together.

2. Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Add the beer to the beaten egg.

3. Add the egg-and-beer mixture to the dry ingredients; mix until smooth.

4. Peel the onions and cut in 1/2-inch (2-centimeter) thick slices.

5. Break the slices into rings and dredge in flour.

6. Dip the rings in the batter a few at a time. Using the swimming method, deep-fry at 375ºF (190ºC) until done. Drain on absorbent paper, season with additional salt and white pepper and serve hot.

-----

I prefer to fry my fish at 350 F. and remove as soon as they hit 140F. man, these were tasty little devils.

And, I must say - forget all those dips and cocktail sauces. Just make up a batch of banana ketchup and you're in business.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut by cjs (Have to disagree wit...)
The beer battered sturgeon was incredible. This morning that fish was swimming in icy cold water - by 4:45 there was batter, sturgeon, and hot oil involved. Mmmmmmmm! Anytime!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!