Growing Oregano
  Re: (...)
Two years ago, I had an oregano plant and it did great. It even came back the next year. Unfortunately, I planted a tarragon in the same pot last year, and it took over. I lost my oregano. This year, I bought another one, but it is different. The other one was a "runner", while this one is more "bushy". The problem is, it's flowering out! I have cut it back in places and it seems to be doing fine in those areas...coming back thicker than ever. Is the Italian "bush" variety like other herbs....the flavor is lost after it flowers???? Should I cut back all the stems flowering? Save those tops? Dry or freeze?

Help!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Growing Oregano by Gourmet_Mom (Two years ago, I had...)
If I can keep oregano all year round, Daphne, I would think you could - just keep the darn tarragon out of the neighborhood!!

When mine starts to blossom, I just cut it back to 3-4" and keep going with it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Growing Oregano by cjs (If I can keep oregan...)
You know, now that you mention it, I don't think I even tried to carry the oregano over the winter that year....I think I just let it die back. We'll see this year. I've got it in a smaller pot this time, so I'll be able to bring it in, if I need to. Last time it was in a huge half whiskey barrel. Thanks for the tips!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Growing Oregano by Gourmet_Mom (You know, now that y...)
Just curious, does anyone ever USE the flowers? I never have, but it seems a shame not to.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Growing Oregano by Mare749 (Just curious, does a...)
I don't remember if I've ever used them for garnish or not, but don't think I've eaten them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Growing Oregano by cjs (I don't remember if ...)
Considering I can't seem to keep up with the oregano enough to prevent flowering, I decided to look it up. Here's what I found: Choosing Herb Blosoms for Eating
Daphne
  Re: Re: Growing Oregano by Gourmet_Mom (Considering I can't ...)
and they all look so pretty when used also.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Growing Oregano by cjs (and they all look so...)
My oregano grew really well in Toronto, and wintered over every year. I used to trim it back when I saw buds / flowers, and the flowers got chopped up with everything else. They looked good as a garnish, and if the stems were thick and woody, they made good skewers.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Growing Oregano by Lorraine (My oregano grew real...)
plus, it even beat the rosemary in living thru last winter!!!
www.achefsjourney.com