Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad
  Re: (...)
What a great dish this is - I had some leftover green salad with all the usual goodies, so I just tossed the squash, vinaigrette, parm and nuts with it. Man, it is tasty!!

Also, I roasted the squash in the a.m. and made the dressing thru adding the mustard and oil and then heated everything for dinner separately and tossed together. Next time I'll probably add the mustard after reducing, but wait to add the oil after I've heated it up and ready to toss with the greens and squash.

Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Cider Vinaigrette
Serves: 4 servings

1 (1 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled and 3/4-inch) diced
Good olive oil
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces baby arugula, washed and spun dry
1/2 cup walnuts halves, toasted
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the butternut squash on a sheet pan. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the maple syrup, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Roast the squash for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until tender. Add the cranberries to the pan for the last 5 minutes.

While the squash is roasting, combine the apple cider, vinegar, and shallots in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cider is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Off the heat, whisk in the mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.

Place the arugula in a large salad bowl and add the roasted squash mixture, the walnuts, and the grated Parmesan. Spoon just enough vinaigrette over the salad to moisten and toss well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad by cjs (What a great dish th...)
That sounds really good! Thanx.
  Re: Re: Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad by HomeCulinarian (That sounds really g...)
That sounds like something we would definately like! Thanks for posting this Jean. Ina has some terrific recipes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad by cjs (What a great dish th...)
Thanks, Jean, I love butternut squash, and try all the recipes I can get my hands on. With maple and arugula, gotta try soon!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad by pjcooks (Thanks, Jean, I love...)
Jean do you think simple syrup would work in lieu of the maple syrup?

Just seems that every time I use maple syrup in a recipe it completely takes over the flavor of the dish for us. Or maybe honey?
  Re: Re: Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad by DFen911 (Jean do you think si...)
I've got to say, Denise, that I hardly knew there was maple syrup in it - just a little sweetness added. I guess honey might work too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad by cjs (I've got to say, Den...)
This sounds like such a yummy recipe. I had another recipe with butternut squash that called for 1 or 2 tbs of maple and I guess I have a high "taste" for it cause it was so over powering.
  Re: Re: Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad by DFen911 (This sounds like suc...)
We are HUGE butternut squash fans, also! (Ya' think? We've got about 10-12 hills of the things growing!)

Thanks Jean! This is a definite at my house, as well!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad by Gourmet_Mom (We are HUGE butternu...)
Did this salad with chicken breasts and the last of the farmer cheese on pita. The salad was great! We'll definitely make it again. My grill ran out of gas while preheating, so I sauteed the chicken with Napa herbs in olive oil. Went nicely with some Sauv Blanc. I'm thinking this salad would be a good thanksgiving salad course....
  Re: Re: Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad by HomeCulinarian (Did this salad with ...)
I agree Jeanette - it was mentioned somewhere in/on the recipe that it made a nice "winter" salad.
www.achefsjourney.com