Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review
  Re: (...)
This recipe is from the CAH Weeknights II book and is posted at the request of Labs...

Recipe:

Falafel meatball wrap with tzatziki

Meatballs:
2/3 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsely
1 egg
2 T olive oil, divided
1 T dried oregano
2 t garlic, minced
1 t kosher salt
1 t ground black pepper
1 # ground chuck
1/2 cup onion, minced
1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Puree chickpeas, parsley, egg, 1 T oil, garlic, and seasonings in food processor. Combine with ground chuck, onion, and bread crumbs. Divide mixture into 12 portions and shape into golf ball sized meatballs. Skewer meatballs and brown in a nonstick oven proof skillet with 1 T olive oil over medium-high heat. (If the meat is too moist to stay on the skewers, brown the meatballs first, then thread). Finish in the oven for 10 minutes.

Tzatziki:
1 cup yogurt (Greek preferred)
1/2 cup cucumber, seeded, chopped
1/2 c feta, crumbled
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T olive oil
2 t lemon zest, minced
1/2 t honey
salt & Pepper to taste.

Pulse all ingredients for tzatziki in food processor until cucumber is coarsely chopped; set aside.

Wraps:
4 Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves
1 cup tomatoes, diced

Prepare lettuce and tomatoes for the wraps. To assemble, place three meatballs in lettuce leaf, drizzle with tzatziki, and garnish with tomatoes.

On the side... Cheese flatbread
2 pitas, unsplit
1 cup farmer cheese, shredded, divided
1/2 t dried oregano leaves
salt & pepper to taste.

Preheat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil. To assemble, arrange pitas on prepared baking sheet and divide cheese and oregano between them; season with salt & pepepr. Broil until cheese is melted and browned, about 5 minutes. Cut into wedges before serving.

Serves 4

When I made this for the first time, we had the Athenian salad with it. Also in CAH Weeknights II book. It's a regular Greek salad and good, except I would replace the green onions with red onions next time I make it.

We liked the flavors of this dinner a lot; the calorie count provided in the book is less than the calorie counter in the on line tracker we use (MyFoodDiary.com) by quite a bit if you're concerned about calories. Cooking the meatballs while they were threaded on the skewers was kind of a pain. Also, the wraps really didn't work out, it just doesn't hold together and requires a knife and fork for polite company. The tzatziki makes about twice as much as you need for this dinner, so unless you have other uses for it planned, I'd recommend making a half recipe of it. The cheese flatbread is so simple and so good! Maybe because our bread servings are few these days...

I also thought it was more than a 30 minute dinner to put all this together. We liked it a lot and will make it again, but if I can mix up the meatballs or tzatziki ahead of time, I would.
  Re: Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review by HomeCulinarian (This recipe is from ...)
Thanks! I'm sure to like these, but I had thought that the term "meatballs" in the name was metaphorical due to the way falafel is prepared. Had not expected there was actual MEAT in this and, despite my being a confirmed carnivore, falafel is one of the few vegetarian dishes I truly enjoy. I SHALL try these, though, but my search for a tried-and-true chickpea-only falafel recipe continues.

I appreciate the notes, too, and may try a half-way-between approach by NOT cutting the flatbread into wedges, and just using it to wrap around the lettuce and meatballs. That may avoid both the falling apart and the knife and fork - more like a gyro.

Thanks again!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review by labradors (Thanks! I'm sure to...)
MMMMmm, Jeanette, that looks good. Copied and put on Do Soon list
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review by farnfam (MMMMmm, Jeanette, th...)
yes, it does sound good - copied here also.

As I was printing this to put with the recipe in the magazine, I already had a review of this dish from Meg from almost 2 years ago - she had the same to say about the meatballs that you did, Jeanette.

"Tuesday night I made the Falafel Meatballs Wraps. Boy were they yummy! I especially loved the tzatziki sauce. (My husband calls it lebon , he is of Greek and Syrian descent.)

I was a little disappointed at first with the meatballs. I tried one straight from the pan and it didn't taste that different from my Italian meatballs. But once I put it on the gyro bread (I bought the wrong type of lettuce! ) with the sauce, it was really good! Tastes very much like a gyro. The kids even ate it!

Next time I would do one thing differently. I didn't skewer the meatballs because they were way too soft to stay on the skewers.So, I would bake the meatballs in the oven. Less spattering = less mess to clean up. And the only other thing I would do is get pita or lavash bread to serve it with/in.

--------------------
Meg "

----

Guess it's time to make this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review by cjs (yes, it does sound g...)
I really have to try this very soon, as I've had it bookmarked for a while now. Thanks for the review, HC.
I wonder if it would help to make these up earlier in the day and let them chill for a while. Someone (I think it might have been PJ) suggested that to me a while back about making the reuben balls.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review by Mare749 (I really have to try...)
That's a good suggestion. I mixed up the meatballs and held them in the fridge while I made the taztziki anyway. It was trying to turn them to brown on all sides while skewered that was challenging. I agree that just baking them would do the trick and be less mess.
  Re: Re: Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review by HomeCulinarian (That's a good sugges...)
I haven't made falafel in years, thanks for reminding me.

I also printed out a recipe for grilled chickpea burgers

http://www.foodfit.com/recipes/recipe.asp?rid=506

which I would also like to try soon. Again, too many recipes, too few meals!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review by foodfiend (I haven't made falaf...)
Vicci, I haven't made chickpea burgers for quite a while, will try the recipe you mentioned soon. sounds tasty. thanks
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review by cjs (Vicci, I haven't mad...)
Sounds good, Vicci. Thanks for the recipe and for the website.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Falafel Meatball Wrap Recipe & Review by Mare749 (Sounds good, Vicci. ...)
This sounds really good. Thanks for the review, Jeanette. I'm starting a to make list for vacation, and this is going on there. I'm saving your notes, as well as the ones from Meg that Jean posted. Thanks to you both!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.