Espresso Tart
  Re: (...)
Ok so here's the recipe that calls for the Muscovado sugar.

Crust -

175g salted butter
50g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
270g plain flour - sifted

Filling -

125g butter
250g Muscovado sugar
10g finely ground espresso beans
6 TBL Kahula or Tia Maria
2 eggs, lightly beaten
50g self rising flour, sieved
40g dark chocolate
A handful of espresso beans

To make the pastry, cream the butter and sugar in a food processor or mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in egg yolk, then slowly add the flour and pulse or mix till dough will form a ball. Take care not to overwork dough or it will be too tough. Divide dough into 2 balls and freeze one for later use. Put other in fridge for about 20 minutes. Roll pastry out on a floured surface and line a 20cm tart tin with a removable base. Chill until needed.

Preheat oven to 180C/350F. To make filling, heat the butter and sugar together until the sugar has dissolved. Add the coffee and Kahula, stir in the eggs and then lightly fold in flour. Pour mixture into chilled pastry case and bake for 35-40 minutes. Check the filling after 20 minutes. You are aiming for a sort of fudge texture so be careful not to overcook it. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Melt the chocolate and dip the extra espresso beans using a fork and allow to dry on a sheet of non-stick baking paper.

Serve with Mascarpone sorbet.

Sorbet -

250g Mascarpone
250ml - whole milk
150g caster sugar

Let mascarpone sit out for about 30 minutes before using to soften. Whisk together with milk till smooth and lump free. Stir in sugar.

Churn mixture in an ice cream maker (according to manufacturers instructions) until thick and creamy, then transfer to a freezer until you need it. If you don't have an ice cream maker then pour straight into a container and place in the freezer and let freeze for 1 hour. After 1 hour beat the frozen edges of the back into the center with an electric beaters to break up any ice crystals. Refreeze another hour and repeat the process. Continue until mixture is creamy and thick.
  Re: Espresso Tart by DFen911 (Ok so here's the rec...)
OH MY!!!!! You have got to try this and let me know, 'cause I'm drooling, just thinking about it and will want to make it soon!!!!!

Cook's Thesaurus substitutes dark brown sugar.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Espresso Tart by Gourmet_Mom (OH MY!!!!! You have...)
I'm rolling out my dough in 5 minutes

Ok...so paused making this post to roll out the dough. I am not a baker! I do not have a bakers mind set. The instructions should further state - make sure you don't over roll the dough and make it WAY too big for the tart pan.

I hope it works because I think I had too much dough left over. So took the extra pieces and pressed them into the sides where it looked thin. Time to make the filling. Here goes nothing
  Re: Re: Espresso Tart by DFen911 (I'm rolling out my d...)
I wish you'd wait..........
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Espresso Tart by cjs (I wish you'd wait......)
For Heaven's sake, WHY Jean? I'm sitting here at my computer positively drooling hoping she will post pictures. Just are some Carrot cake and I want this tart (not you dear), done so I can see it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Espresso Tart by bjcotton (For Heaven's sake, W...)
WHY? Because the nuances of the particular sugar will probably make a difference. It'll most likely be a very tasty tart, but it won't have the flavor that using the correct ingredient will give it. that's why, bless your heart!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Espresso Tart by cjs (WHY? Because the nua...)
Ok pictures coming soon. It's baking as I type. Ok so first I melted the butter and just the brown sugar..typical flavor. But I did add the 1TBL of dark molasses and wow that woke things up. So we shall see. I will make this again with the correct sugar, but at least the folks I am serving are not "foodies" like all of us.

I'll only be able to get a picture of whole till I take another picture tonight when it's cut and has the sorbet so I'll post all tonight when we get home

Ok pulled it out..they should tell you to slighty under fill it...to late now but it smells fantastic.
  Re: Re: Espresso Tart by DFen911 (Ok pictures coming s...)
Sounds fantastic. Can't wait to see the pics.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Espresso Tart by Mare749 (Sounds fantastic. C...)
Thanks for the recipe, Denise.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Espresso Tart by Lorraine (Thanks for the recip...)
And the ice cream sounds luscious also!!
www.achefsjourney.com