Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum!
  Re: (...)
Someone said it was a "grape plum". We just thought it was a flowering plum - but it's got fruit. Has anyone ever made jam from this fruit - I think we've likely got 15 lbs of fruit! Sheesh!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum! by Harborwitch (Someone said it was ...)
I've never heard of it, but it sure sounds good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum! by Harborwitch (Someone said it was ...)
Oh, maybe that is what is in the woods next to us. THere is an ancient plum tree in the woods that has a couple of branches that hang over our fence. It is beautiful when flowering - white flowers. It gets small fruit on it, about the size of a key lime. We were perplexd as to what the fruit was - but knew it smelled like a plum.

Unfortunately it doesn't get much sun and I think the birds and squirrels get what little fruit it does produce. I was always afraid to let the kids try one because we had no idea what it was.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum! by esgunn (Oh, maybe that is wh...)
It sounds like it - also, I think, known as a wild plum. The flowers were spectacular and the foliage is a deep plum color. The fruits are about the size of a key line. I think we got 15 lbs today and Bob didn't venture any higher than a step ladder - there's still more but neither of us like to have our feet that high off the ground! Maybe next week he'll try the fruit ladder? I'm thinking plum jam and a plum, ginger, & jalapeno jam.
  Re: Re: Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum! by Harborwitch (It sounds like it - ...)
Interesting to hear what you learn about them and if you can use the fruit.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum! by cjs (Interesting to hear ...)
Maybe you have what we called in Toronto "Italian Plum". The fruit is more oblong than round. If so, it makes great cakes, chutneys, and the jalapeno jam for sure.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum! by Lorraine (Maybe you have what ...)
HI,
I have 5 of those trees. Last year 3 of them probably produced some 1000 lbs of fruit...it was crazy. This year there is very little. I made jam out of them it was delicious....I cooked them with pits in and than strained the mixture. We are still eating some of it. Pies are really good too , though mine were not as sweet as regular plums so adjust sugar accordingly. There is also a georgian recipe I can find out for you. They make this hot and sweet type of a relish for meat. It is really good but I personaly have never made it.
  Re: Re: Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum! by piano226 (HI,[br]I have 5 of t...)
That Georgian recipe sounds right up our alley. I like the idea of just cooking them and then straining out the pits - pitting all those things is going to take forever!
  Re: Re: Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum! by Harborwitch (That Georgian recipe...)
The sauce is called Tkemali.

here is the recipe.

Tkemali
(Plum Sauce)
This sauce is the universal condiment in Georgia, used as much as American ketchup. It is prepared in small portions or large ones for long-term keeping.

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds of plums (not too sweet or ripe)
1/4 cup of water
3/4 teaspoon of whole coriander seed
1 teaspoon of fennel seed
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon of cayenne
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of finely minced fresh mint
1/3 cup of finely minced cilantro

Cut the plums in half and remove the pits. Place in a saucepan with the water and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, or until the plums are soft.

In a mortar with pestle, pound together the coriander seed, fennel seed, garlic, cayenne, and salt to make a fine paste.

When plums are soft, put them through a food mill and place them into a clean pan. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat, stirring for 3 minutes. Stir in the ground spices and continue cooking until the mixture thickens slightly, another 5 minutes or so. Stir in the minced mint and cilantro and remove from the heat. Pour into a jar while still hot. Either cool to room temperature or keep in refrigerator, or seal the jar for longer storage.
  Re: Re: Now I know what that tree is! A Cherry Plum! by piano226 (The sauce is called ...)
Oh thank you! That sounds incredible! I will be making a batch of that. Now I have to go out to the garage and find the food mill.