Grilled Pizza
  Re: (...)
Sometimes saying you were wrong is not so hard...especially with a mouth full of luscious crispy pizza! William was VERY willing to admit that I may now fix every pizza on the grill from now on! LOL! He moaned through dinner!

It was really easy and painless and didn't heat up my kitchen after a VERY hot and humid day. Thanks for the encouragement everybody, especially Jean! The crust is everything I have wanted with all the pizzas of the past. While the others were good, this was AWESOME!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Grilled Pizza by Gourmet_Mom (Sometimes saying you...)
I'm going to have to try this, too. We don't have pizza often anymore, so it would be a treat!
  Re: Re: Grilled Pizza by HomeCulinarian (I'm going to have to...)
Well good on Willliam AND you!! We may just let him stick around the neighborhood.

I'm making pizza again in the next few days with the Merquez sausage...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Pizza by cjs (Well good on Willlia...)
That's great, Daphne! So glad you finally got William to try this so you could see what all the fuss was about. We even did this in the winter a couple of times because it's so good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Grilled Pizza by Mare749 (That's great, Daphne...)
Oh, winter will definitely not deter me now! Jeanette, you really should try it. It wasn't nearly as hard as I imagined. Since I always get my ingredients ready in bowls ahead anyway, there was really no difference....well, except for that incredibly crispy crust I have longed for! My greatest fear was that the crust would stick to the grate, but I oiled it slightly and the crust came up nicely!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Grilled Pizza by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, winter will defi...)
Daphne I love doing this! The first time I did it my husband (boyfriend at the time) thought I was coo-coo. After he had it, he bragged about it for weeks to all his friends.

So glad William liked it. That is always great when the hubbies like it so well.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Grilled Pizza by luvnit (Daphne I love doing ...)
Sorry, to come into this discussion late but was wondering what pizza crust recipe you were talking about - would love to have it. I used to have an incredible one but have lost it.
  Re: Re: Grilled Pizza by Bethp (Sorry, to come into ...)
Beth, this is the one a lot of us use - It's one that I have been working on for (believe it or not ) over 15 years till I got it the way I wanted it.

Nowadays, I just automatically add the oregano, basil and crushed red peppers - no matter what kind of pizza I'm making. If you try it, I sure hope you like it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jean's Pizza Dough

1 cup +3 Tablespoon water
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 3/4 cups bread flour -- (13.5 oz)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour -- (1.1 oz.)
1 teaspoon each: garlic & onion powders
1/4 cup Nonfat Dry Milk Powder -- (.7 oz.)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Active dry yeast
For variation: 1 Tsp. Each Dried Oregano & Basil
3/25/08 - Added 1/2 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes

Using a Mixer: Put everything in the big bowl of a kitchen-aid, mix it for 5 to 7 minutes, let it rise right in the bowl, then punch it down, it's ready to use or cover it with plastic and use the next day.

For individual pizzas - divide dough into quarters or thirds. Either freeze, refrigerate till needed, or top immediately with toppings of your choice.
If frozen, let the dough thaw in an oiled plastic bag in the refrigerator overnight.

Oven: Once you have your toppings on the dough, bake at 450° for ~15 min., or till crust is golden.

Grill: Medium to medium high heat - grill for 4 min.; remove from grill and turn grilled side up - you'll want the uncooked side down. Top with toppings; place back on grill for 6 min. more, with the lid closed, rotating if necessary.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

New Variation - 3/27/09 - made hot dog buns out of pizza dough. 5 oz. each bun - let rise 1 hour, bake at 400 F. for 15-20 minutes. (They hold up for 4 days - and still taste great)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Pizza by cjs (Beth, this is the on...)
This is THE BEST pizza dough ever!!!! I went to a family reunion today and was swapping ideas with some family that likes to cook. I told them about the pizza. They have begged for the recipe.

Like Jean said, I automatically add the extra herbs/spices. BTW, Jean, I thought of you the other day. Paula Deen had a chef on the show and he was making some sort of sandwich. I think it was crab cakes. What really got my attention was the buns he used. He used a focaccia dough, sans, your pizza dough and made large hamburger buns. He topped each bun with a olive oil, a large tomato slice, and salt before baking. It looked really cool and I'm sure it would make a really nice sandwich!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Grilled Pizza by Gourmet_Mom (This is THE BEST piz...)
Daphne, I really should not have read this. That just sounds way too good and I'm trying not to eat a lot of bread right now. But, what a great idea!

Jean, I must have had your dough recipe for a really long time, because I did not have your variations. Thank you for posting and I have added them to the original recipe.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."