Sort of OT - Veggie Gardening
  Re: (...)
I know this is more than likely too late for most of us, me included (at least this year), but my hippie daughter Laurie and I were discussing my garden woes. She suggested that I read "Tomatoes Love Carrots" and "Roses Love Garlic" both by Louise Riotte.

These books are fantastic, especially if you are trying to NOT use chemicals on your veggies and plants. She discusses the benefits of companion planting and natural pest control that can be achieved by companion planting.

I have a lovely section where we have pea netting up, I have Sweet Peas, pea pods, and green beans there. Right in front we put chives - thinking since I use them so much it would be great right by the door. Not so much. Beans & peas do NOT like any members of the onion family. Bob dug up the chives and potted them and we moved them about 8' from the beans. The chives (which were struggling and laying flat on the ground) are now flourishing and the beans, pea pods, and Sweet Peas are going nuts.

Now we are using these books as guides for ornamentals as well as food "crops" and we're thrilled with the results. I'd highly recommend that anyone who is growing veggies and fruits, especially in small places in and among other plants, grab these 2 books - they're extremely well written and fun to read too.

We might have enough green beans for dinner tonight!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Sort of OT - Veggie Gardening by Harborwitch (I know this is more ...)
So, peas & beans don't like chives.... so far so good. interesting, Sharon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I have mixed my basil and tomatoes this year. I'm letting the tomatoes grow without cages--everything is flourshing--best in years. I believe in this combo.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Sort of OT - Veggie Gardening by Old Bay (I have mixed my basi...)
I put my chive with my tomatoes and they're not doing to well. I really need to move them.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sort of OT - Veggie Gardening by Gourmet_Mom (I put my chive with ...)
Bill we have basil in with our two best growing tomatoes and peppers. The poblanos seem to be doing better with the chives near them.

Tomatoes supposedly love members of the onion family. ????? I'll look in the book later.
Thanks, I'll look for both books,Sharon. Do they have any information about keeping animals out of the garden? Between the rabbits and the deer, they clean us out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sort of OT - Veggie Gardening by Mare749 (Thanks, I'll look fo...)
This is the first year the rabbits just ate the tops off my peas. Darn it all! Even when the had babies in the bean garden they didn't eat it! I have had many struggles with blue berries and strawberries growning together. They don't like it!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I am gonna have to check these books out from the Library for next year. I did plant my chives in a separate pot. I wanted to be able to bring them in when winter comes. Plus I saw my neighbor's herb garden where they had planted chives in a section, now EVERY section is full of chives. When they mow the lawn, I get a craving for baked potatoes with sour cream!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sort of OT - Veggie Gardening by Mare749 (Thanks, I'll look fo...)
AS I recall she did.
  Re: Re: Sort of OT - Veggie Gardening by Harborwitch (AS I recall she did....)
All those in favor of having Sharon come help plant gardens day Aye

AYE!!!

That is good to know..what goes good with tomatoes? I have a green chili plant next to my tomatoes.