Cheesecake Question
  Re: (...)
Can I make my filling this afternoon, but wait to bake it tonight when the house cools off?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cheesecake Question by Gourmet_Mom (Can I make my fillin...)
Daphne, I've mixed up my cheesecake the day before, refered, (that doesn't sound right but you know what I mean), then mixed again before baking off with no adverse effects. Hope this helps!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Cheesecake Question by pjcooks (Daphne, I've mixed u...)
LOL! I get what you mean! Thanks PJ, that's perfect. It's about 100 outside and even hotter in the kitchen. The thoughts of heating up the kitchen with a 300 degree oven for a couple hours is out of the question! I have GOT to win the lottery so I can afford to fix the central heat and air!!!! DD keeps telling me that I can't win if I don't buy a ticket....I guess she's right...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cheesecake Question by Gourmet_Mom (LOL! I get what you...)
Maybe what you need is a summer kitchen, Daphne? Didn't that used to be common in the south? I always thought that sounded pretty civilized considering how hot it gets there.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cheesecake Question by Mare749 (Maybe what you need ...)
Quote:

Didn't that used to be common in the south

They were very common. The Inn we worked at 2 weeks ago had a separate small house with the original "Summer Kitchen" sign displayed. Really neat. So, back to cheesecake. How did it turnout?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cheesecake Question by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
It worked like a charm. I had to wait until about midnight for the thing to cool, but it was worth it not to have to deal with the heat. The cheesecake was a HUGE hit at the reunion today!

Maryann, I would love a summer kitchen. My dream is to have a covered area at the end of the deck with one of those outdoor kitchen setups! We usually have breezes from the lake most afternoons, so it would really be nice. But right now, I'd just be glad to be able to afford to fix my AC! We need about 5,000 to replace the whole unit. With three in college, neither is happening any time soon! Such a shame...now that I have time to cook, it's unbearably hot in the kitchen. I'm going to start doing all prep work early in the morning and use the grill as much as possible!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cheesecake Question by Mare749 (Maybe what you need ...)
Quote:

Maybe what you need is a summer kitchen, Daphne? Didn't that used to be common in the south? I always thought that sounded pretty civilized considering how hot it gets there.

Not just in the south, Maryann. My Mom grew up on the farm right next door to where she lives now, and they had a winter, and a summer kitchen. Growing up, I thought the whole thing was rather cool. (Well, not the outhouse, until 1950- but this was a farm...)

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Cheesecake Question by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I do too, PJ! Pretty smart back then, weren't they? I was going to suggest to Daphne to just pick up a used stove somewhere and stick it on her back porch to use in the summer, but then that might look rather tacky.

Daphne, I do love your idea for an outdoor kitchen on your deck. Hope you get to do that one day.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cheesecake Question by Mare749 (I do too, PJ! Prett...)
Quote:

I do love your idea for an outdoor kitchen on your deck

I'd settle for having a deck. Being in a second floor apartment with no balcony, sitting on the outside steps isn't my idea of a good time.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cheesecake Question by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
We were always talking about a summer kitchen at the end of our deck (well, I think it was me more than him - probably why it never got done... ) in California. Both my Grandmas had summer kitchens on their farms/ranches up here in Eastern Washington.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com