Scrapple
  Re: (...)
I remember someone talking about how to make scrapple a long time ago, so when I ran across this recipe in one of my new cookbooks I thought I'd post it for you:

Scrapple

Lettie Gay says after testing this recipe:

“When we first looked at the scrapple after it had been allowed to cool, we were most unfavorably impressed. It had a grayish look and seemed most uninviting. One taste changes our feeling toward it entirely! This is a most delicious dish, one which might well compete with pâté de fois gras as a canapé spread. The flavor is delicate and quite delightful. Although we did not try sealing the scrapple in half-pint jars, there seems no reason why this could not be done successfully, making a product which would keep for several weeks at least.”

To make this scrapple, take the head, liver, and feet of a hog and boil them until the flesh drops from the bones—about two and a half hours. Grind the meat and season with red and black pepper, adding salt to taste.

Make a cornmeal mush of one cup of cornmeal and three cups of the stock. Add the meat and mix well. Cook in the top of a double boiler or in a pan set in another pan of water for about half an hour. If the scrapple seems too stiff, a little more of the liquor may be added. It should be stiff enough to cut when cold. Mold in oblong pans. This may be cut in slices, rolled in flour, and sautéed before serving.

--Marie H. Heyward, Wappaoola Plantation, Cooper River

Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Scrapple by bjcotton (I remember someone t...)

Scrapple? Isn't that a spelling game you play with pigs?

Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Scrapple by bjcotton (I remember someone t...)
In the words of Grampa Jones, Billy, yum, yum....

Good one, Cis!! By the way, Billy, you can still buy it here in NH.

Not that I have any desire to.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Scrapple by pjcooks (In the words of Gram...)
I've never layed eyes on the stuff and hope I don't

Billy
  Re: Re: Scrapple by bjcotton (I've never layed eye...)
where's your sense of adventure????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Scrapple by cjs (where's your sense o...)
You guys are too funny! Scrapple is a common side dish in Pennsylvania, especially for breakfast, instead of, or even with bacon. My husband's favorite brand is from Meadows, which is available all over Pa. and Ohio, but not sure about anywhere else. I never ate this when we first gor married, but after so many years of cooking it for Ron, I finally tried it and acquired a taste for it. I just eat it plain, but Ron likes to drizzle his with maple syrup. My inlaws put mustard on theirs.

Billy, does this recipe sound any more appetizing?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Old-Fashioned Scrapple

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Casserole

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound boneless cooked pork loin -- chopped
1 cup cornmeal
1 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil -- as needed

In a large saucepan combine pork, cornmeal, chicken broth, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer about 2 minutes or until mixture is very thick, stirring constantly.

Line an 8 × 8 × 2-inch baking pan or a 9 × 5 × 3-inch loaf pan with waxed paper, letting paper extend 3-4 inches above top of pan. Spoon pork mixture into pan. Cover and chill in the refrigerator 4 hours or overnight.

Unmold; cut scrapple into squares. Combine flour and pepper; dust squares with flour mixture. In large skillet brown scrapple on both sides in a small amount of hot oil.

Source:
"National Pork Producers Council"

Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Scrapple by Mare749 (You guys are too fun...)
Not a fan of scrapple. Just pass the bacon please.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Scrapple by chef_Tab (Not a fan of scrappl...)
Amen Theresa! Yes Maryann, it does sound a lot more appetizing, but, gimme eggs and bacon.

Billy
  Re: Re: Scrapple by bjcotton (Amen Theresa! Yes M...)
He loves scrapple! He told me it was usually made with odds and ends of "innards". It's readily available in the stores here also, Maryann.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Scrapple by Lorraine (He loves scrapple! ...)
That's probably true, Lorraine. We don't ask what's in it. You might want to try it sometime, it might surprise you.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."