Tuesday's Dinner - May 16th??
  Re: (...)
Tomorrow is our day with my aunt Marjean - shopping and out to lunch now that the bridge is open. I'm so anxious to see it, everyone says it's so pretty! As I try to take over dishes for her to try, I made Salisbury steak yesterday and kept out two for us tonight. The gravy is made out of the braised oxtail jus I froze a couple weeks ago - man, is that delicious gravy!! Easy dinner. She has never tried couscous, so made some of that for her to try with the steak and gravy, so we'll have the same tonight.

What are you all up to??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner - May 16th?? by cjs (Tomorrow is our day ...)
I wound up making hot dogs and chili last night because the local store was out of ground turkey. I was in the middle of doing some cleaning and didn't feel like grinding chicken, so I will probably try the BLT Turkey Burgers tonight or the Flank Steak that Jeanette reviewed the other day. Bill's chicken is on for later this week.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner - May 16th?? by Gourmet_Mom (I wound up making ho...)
"Bill's chicken is on for later this week." - for us also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner - May 16th?? by cjs ("Bill's chicken is o...)
I made some deer meat meatballs, and have some burgundy sauce left, so may have that over pasta. Or, could make something with the leftover chicken scampi and the 10 lbs of baby bok choy. Dessert will be either homemade banana ice cream or strawberry ice cream.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner - May 16th?? by Lorraine (I made some deer mea...)
Oh Lorraine, have you ever tried Kelly's venison tacos? If you have access to venison, they are so good!!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

VENISON NECK & GREEN CHILI TACOS

Recipe By: (Kelly Johnson) Kelly Johnson, Chef/CoOwner Evan's St. Station, Tecumseh, MI

1 Venison neck, bones in
3-4 T. oil
6 poblano chilis, seeded and rough chopped
4 + 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
2 + 1 large onions, chopped
1 lg can low sodium beef or chicken broth
1 + 1 bunch cilantro
2 tsps cumin powder
4 + 3 limes
seasoned flour, salt & pepper

Start with a Dutch oven on the stove top and heat the oil till hot. Season the neck liberally with salt, pepper and cumin. Dust it in the flour & sear on as many sides as you can get to sit flat. Take the neck out and reserve on a plate. Add in all the poblanos, 4 of the jalapenos and 2 of the onions & saute till it all starts to wilt and get soft. Add the neck back in (on top of the vegetables) and add the broth.There should be liquid at least 1/4 way up the roast in the beginning.

Bring to a simmer (if you boil it, it'll never ever get tender) and put the lid on. Simmer very slowly for about 3-5 hours. You may need to add more broth or water to keep the moisture in as it evaporates. You'll know when it's done when the neck joints can be pulled out with a pair of tongs with no resistance.

Remove all the bones (just pick them out of the pot with a pair of tongs.) and remove meat with a slotted spoon or spatula to a bowl. In the bowl add the raw chopped onion, the other jalapeno, 4 of the limes and cilantro. Sprinkle a little salt if it needs it and shred it up with a fork.

Put whatever's left in the pot into the blender and add the remaining limes and blend it for a sauce. Serve with warm tortillas.

Description:
"Serve with warm tortilla's and get a big plate and hide because grown men will try to kiss you when they taste this!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner - May 16th?? by cjs (Oh Lorraine, have yo...)
I had forgotten about that recipe. All we have left is some ground, and I think a piece of loin. But, I know the guy will go hunting again this year. If we ask very nicely, maybe we'll get the neck.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner - May 16th?? by Lorraine (I had forgotten abou...)
Pizza! I made the dough last night and it's now resting in the fridge...YUM!
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner - May 16th?? by DFen911 (Pizza! [img]/ubbthre...)
I'm making our standby salmon & lemon linguine tonight.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner - May 16th?? by HomeCulinarian (I'm making our stand...)
I put chili in the crockpot before I left this morning since I would be gone all day today. That and a salad was dinner for me. Ron had the same along with a sleeve of buttered crackers for dippin' in his chili.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."