Next Dinner Review.....
  Re: (...)
Well, no one wants to choose something, so here goes and maybe some of us can have fun with this.

Review date will be Monday, June 29th (Bill!!! June 29th! )

Savory Breakfast Bread Pudding with tarragon & gruyere
Issue #75

This light, fluffy bread pudding is perfect for breakfast, and it's equally delicious at lunch or for dinner.
Makes 12 servings
Total time: about 2 hours

1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
3 scallions, thinly sliced,
green part only
1 Tbsp. minced fresh tarragon
1 lb. sliced artisan-style bread
10 eggs
3 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Grease the bottom of a 9x13-inch
baking dish with butter.

Saute half the mushrooms in 2 Tbsp. oil in a large saute pan over high heat until all their moisture has evaporated. Transfer sautéed mushrooms to a bowl. Sauté remaining mushrooms in remaining 2 Tbsp. oil; add to bowl.

Mix 1/2 cup Swiss and 1/2 cup Gruyere with scallions and tarragon.

Cover bottom of the prepared baking dish with a layer of bread, cutting slices as needed to fill in spaces. Top with half the mushrooms and all the herbed cheese. Cover with another layer of bread, remaining mushrooms, and the remaining Swiss and Gruyere.

Blend eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a blender until combined. Pour over layers in baking dish. Cover bread pudding with plastic wrap, gently pressing to encourage absorption; refrigerate at least two hours or overnight. Remove plastic wrap before baking. Preheat oven to 350°.

Bake until bread pudding is cooked (160°), about 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Per serving: 34S eal; 17g total fat (8g sat); 185mg ehol; 619mg sodium; 26g earb; 2g fiber; 20g protein

Orange Freeze

Issue #74
Try substituting lime or another frozen juice concentrate instead of the orange called for in the recipe.

Makes 4 servings (~4 cups)

1 cup milk
1 6-oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup half & half
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
14 ice cubes

Blend milk, orange juice, concentrate, half & half, powdered sugar, water, vanilla, and ice cubes in a blender until smooth Serve drink immediately.

(and maybe add a tad of gin )

----
Can't make up my mind whether to do this as a brunch or a dinner....decisions, decisions. Okay, let's have fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Next Dinner Review..... by cjs (Well, no one wants t...)
Oh my! Look at all that cheese! Doesn't it sound decadent! I tend to gloss over the breakfast stuff in the magazine since we rarely eat breakfast. I think I'll do this for dinner one night.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Next Dinner Review..... by cjs (Well, no one wants t...)
I'm in for the Bread Pudding! Not sure about the drink, as he won't touch orange juice. I think I'll do it for brunch.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Next Dinner Review..... by Lorraine (I'm in for the Bread...)
Lorraine, look at the notation under the title. "Try substituting lime or another frozen juice concentrate instead of the orange called for in the recipe."

You could always use something else. I'm thinking of changing it up with lemon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Next Dinner Review..... by Gourmet_Mom (Lorraine, look at th...)
Quote:

look at the notation under the title

All I saw was the gin.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Next Dinner Review..... by Gourmet_Mom (Lorraine, look at th...)
I would absolutely love this, but I'll have to save up for it, since Gruyère is $20/lb here (not kidding or exaggerating).

Also, what are "frozen orange juice concentrate" and "half & half"? No such things in the stores around here. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Next Dinner Review..... by labradors (I would absolutely l...)
all half & half is is equal parts milk & cream.

orange juice concentrate? Have you been out of the country since the 60s??????? It's just frozen o.j. (or lime or lemon) juice concentrate that's been around forever.

"All I saw was the gin." a girl after my own heart.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Dinner Review..... by cjs (all half & half is i...)
Quote:

all half & half is is equal parts milk & cream.

orange juice concentrate? Have you been out of the country since the 60s??????? It's just frozen o.j. (or lime or lemon) juice concentrate that's been around forever.

LOL! I only said it that way to underscore how foreign those items are to the local supermarkets.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Next Dinner Review..... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
oops.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Dinner Review..... by cjs (oops....)
Monday, the 29th is fast approaching...tomorrow - anyone do this dinner/brunch/whatever?

Must admit I forgot about it also - so will do it this coming week. I have some bread leftover from the party so will work for the bread pudding.
www.achefsjourney.com